Skip to main content
Topic: Mods (Read 1849 times) previous topic - next topic

Mods

So I want to do a few mods to the car, but part of me is very anti. I'm all about subtle mods, but part of me feels it lowers the value of the car?

Examples would be...
Removing the old electric antenna and installing either DAB or a bee sting. (I do enjoy watching the old antenna extend though).
Swapping out the steering wheel for something like a Momo. (maybe a snap off?)
Instaling a Votex style centre console and throwing some later VW cup holders in there.

I know it's my car ultimately, and I don't plan to sell it for a long time yet (Only just got the bloody thing).
What's the general stance from folks in the community?

Re: Mods

Reply #1
At the end of the day, it’s your car so just do whatever you want to make it uniquely yours. If you are worried about it’s future value, keep the mods to things that are easily reversible. Most important thing is you treasuring your Mk2 for years to come  8)  8)
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #2
Bee sting is the worse possible mod imo, you cannot reverse it easily. Welding the hole risks warping the roof and fibreglass/filler will crack.

An electric aerial is a cool retro age appropriate mod if you ask me, loved it in my old one. My current one has a bee sting :-( and the wing hole welded up. It bothers me.

Steering wheels and centre console are no issue though as easily swapped back. Just stash what you remove.

Wheels and suspension can all be swapped no issues and brake upgrades will benefit you and will not devalue.

Reply #3
Yeah I'm a fan of leccy aerials if it's an 8v non bee sting, so many people put a bee sting on when it shouldn't be there, stick with the wing one.

Momo steering wheels are ok but not a fan of snap offs, if it were me I'd be looking for something offered as dealer aftermarket like BBS wheel or an early Wolfsburg or Votex etc.

Votex consoles are period but don't butcher it to fit cup holders, I think Polo or Lupo ones fit but it's modernising what is essentially a 30 year old car that never came with cup holders.

It is your car but my opinion is less is more, I went down that route of Wolfsburg handles, gearknob, momo wheel, clear indicators back in the day and I kept all the original bits and put it back to standard after 20 years.

Spend money on maintaining it and using it.

Reply #4
Yeah I'm a fan of leccy aerials if it's an 8v non bee sting, so many people put a bee sting on when it shouldn't be there, stick with the wing one.

Momo steering wheels are ok but not a fan of snap offs, if it were me I'd be looking for something offered as dealer aftermarket like BBS wheel or an early Wolfsburg or Votex etc.

Votex consoles are period but don't butcher it to fit cup holders, I think Polo or Lupo ones fit but it's modernising what is essentially a 30 year old car that never came with cup holders.

It is your car but my opinion is less is more, I went down that route of Wolfsburg handles, gearknob, momo wheel, clear indicators back in the day and I kept all the original bits and put it back to standard after 20 years.

Spend money on maintaining it and using it.
I mean, a genuine votex I would't molest. Only ones I've seen for sale are the SWG face. But I don't think they the cup holders look too out of place with the nice straight lines of the mk2 dash?
https://imgur.com/RFZn34s

Then we have the sans ashtray one.
https://imgur.com/pdlujIs

I do like how the car is pre cup holder. (proper driver car). Sadly I am partial to a coffee from the drive through starbucks. Haha.
At the moment I have these cheap flimsy things that hook on the door. I don't like the fact they put pressure on the old electric windows.

Reply #5
The second one I like, looks more factory plus retains the 12v slot.

Reply #6
My wing hole is welded up and the aerial is hiding in  the scuttle which I like. With hindsight should have just used a grommet on the wing.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #9
Im sure a hidden DAB aerial will be fine, but i do have wing grommet and roof beesting on mk2 16v f plate.   Maybe something like this ? although im running Minidisc,wth cd changer, as 1990's/2000 mod.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Receiver-Amplifier-Extension-Blaupunkt/dp/B07W2X4PZ5/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?adgrpid=51896619303&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevte0d22MAWyZguMcCmpuKcIcY8cgCPuZpmTwt6VRIZSisPVRzoTwNsRoCHVoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259034768068&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046230&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=9569396833380968753&hvtargid=kwd-20018436&hydadcr=4619_1795260&keywords=hidden+car+antenna&qid=1603524950&sr=8-21-spons&tag=googhydr-21&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSEFNMlNZS0tQNDlEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjQ5MDg4MlQxMjRHMVNLMUgxUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk5ODQ5M1ZHSUc2QjZMOVlUVyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Bee sting in a 16v is fine, it’s supposed to be there so it’s not a mod.

Don’t get me Wrong not dissing the bee sting just not when it wasn’t there from factory.

Plus with mine fitted FM signal is rubbish. I added an active booster but still pretty poor.

why does it still have the wing hole? was it after thought? any how totally agree the aerials are wxxk even with booster.. Ive changed alternator added suppressors, and still get rubbish reception. Im just happy to have some old music on cds and minidisc to play..  In my other cars i have aux leads and bluetooth cassettes to stream playlists

Reply #10
In response to the original post.
I think there is a case for keeping your MK2 completely original however a compromise is perhaps to add stuff that is easily reversible.
That said, I've had my 91 8v BB more door GTI since 1996 and I'm modernising it with aircon heated seats and heated windscreen. I'd like abs too but that may come later. The car isn't perfect (odds and sods of minor rust/small scale welding/a disappointing respray) but these mods will put a bigger smile on my face than I already have, make it a true daily and shouldn't affect its value too much.

Long-term I'd like to rectify the imperfections!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #11
In response to the original post.
I think there is a case for keeping your MK2 completely original however a compromise is perhaps to add stuff that is easily reversible.
That said, I've had my 91 8v BB more door GTI since 1996 and I'm modernising it with aircon heated seats and heated windscreen. I'd like abs too but that may come later. The car isn't perfect (odds and sods of minor rust/small scale welding/a disappointing respray) but these mods will put a bigger smile on my face than I already have, make it a true daily and shouldn't affect its value too much.

Long-term I'd like to rectify the imperfections!

See this is my thinking. Mine is sort of a daily, as I only have a 5 min drive to work every day, and given it's low mileage for the age, I'm comfortable with this.

I don't plan to do alot, just a few little comfort mods. that can easially be reversed. Air con would be a nice thing to add come summer, as honestly that's the biggest thing I'm going to miss. Not sure how easy that would be to fit.

I've just purchased a used console on ebay, so I can do my little ash tray/cup holder mod. I'll keep the original console as it's super mint, and I don't want to molest it.

I may disconnect the antenna and just leave it intact there, as I never listen to the radio anyway. No reason for it to be extended when I'm streaming music.

I'm thinking I might swap out the indicators for clear ones, and swap the rear lights out for some of those black and red almost smoked lights.

I'm very much a "less is more" kind of guy. When folks at work poke fun at how old and basic it is, I enjoy it.