Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16780 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #165
Thank you.
I didn't know wax acted as a filler I just assumed the gloss and a lot of light made the scratches very difficult to see.  The process that works for me is:

Wash
Clay bar
Compound with medium cutting pad (DA forced rotation)
Compound with heavy polishing pad (DA unforced rotation)
Polish with polishing pad DA (unforced rotation)
Panel wipe
Ceramic coat.

Apparently 2K black is very difficult to get right.  The last problem I have to solve is wiping off the polish.  The paint is so soft polish residue on my microfiber wipes leaves very feint lines.

Reply #166
Yes, essentially that's what wax is, a kind of filler for top coat.
It levels out all the pumps and scratches, leaving the panel looking like a mirror, unfortunately it doesn't last long.
Hence the new wave of ceramic coatings changing things up.

Make sure you are using a waxless polish, you need that panel free of everything before the ceramic coat goes on.

Not sure why your microfibre would be scratching the surface.
Perhaps there is dirt on it?
Have you tried with a brand new one?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #167
Panel wipe gets everything off before ceramic coat.

Yes I'm using new microfiber straight out of the bag with the labels cut off.  The problem is referred to as towel marring, the marks are not scratches they are very light hazy streaks.  You need a bright light to see them.  A soft towel appears to be the way to go to fix this:
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/187479-soft-black-paint-towel-marring-finishing-ability.html

Reply #168
The original spot lamps looked like they had been machine gunned so I ground them back with a diamond polishing pad and finished them with cerium oxide polish.  On the last polishing pass on the second lamp it got too hot and cracked  :'( .
Hella spots are NLA in RH drive and a decent used set were a long time coming.  I bought some aftermarket spots, as a stop gap, but these were absolute garbage.  If I had fit them they were so badly fitting they would have broken the grill.  Also the beam directing ripples were way off vertical. Couldn't send them back I'd painted the backs.
Solution; glue the aftermarket lenses into the Hella lamp backs  ;)

Reply #169
Pleased with this, 90k miles stone battered grill:

Plastic citrus cleaned and ceramic coated.
Spots original, damaged lenses removed, backs painted, aftermarket lenses glued in
IAM badge polished, painted, new stainless screws, aluminium bars helicoiled
Metal trim, beaten flat, filled, Halfords rattle can, ceramic coated.
Red surround touched in with model paints
GTi badge replaced 1990 after hitting an electrical connector dangling from a motorway bridge.  Lasted well since, looked good after a clean and ceramic coat.
Scrubbed up nice. Now I need a front of a car to mount it on.

Reply #170
Very smart looks like its new.
scs

Reply #171
Been having my steel components sand blasted and painted.  For the slam panel I wanted to retain as much original paint as possible so I opted for steam cleaning. Pleased I did the amount of rust under the filth and gunge is minimal. Just needs localised rubbing down, converting and painting.

Roman at Steam Cleaning Leeds did a very good job, https://steam-cleaning-leeds.co.uk/

Reply #172
Radiator going back on today. 
Its tiring a little, the aluminium is beginning to rot.  However it is 22 years old, a genuine VAG radiator and doesn't leak so it is staying.

Reply #173
Damn! I knew I forgot to get something coated!
That radiator shroud looks brand new though, what material did you use on the flaps?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #174
The radiator shroud had bits of surface rust and thick brushed on Smoothrite from previous repairs. I just flatted it, converted the rust. Brushed on No1 primer where required then sprayed the whole thing in satin black Smoothrite.
The flaps are original. Took them off and scrubbed them with a tooth brush and washing up liquid.

Reply #175
I only have space to to spray paint on my drive.  Yesterday the wind dropped and the sun came out so I got the last two major components painted, the slam panel and lower cross panel.  Objective with both was to keep paint as original as possible; I failed miserably.
At least the paint on the slam panel that you see when you open the bonnet is original, everything else is new.  Had to work over some historic brushed repairs but happy with the way this will look on the car:

Reply #176
A couple of things here, bought a new camera because the old one failed.  Pictures should have got better but they got worse.  It is the size of a match box and the manual is an encyclopedia. Going to have to read it.
Prepared these, the best 4 I could find, to look authentic next to the wings now that my slam panel is close to going back on.  Zinc plate, black passivate, having a DIY plating setup really helps with the detail.

There are many more of these with rust pitting, they will be fitted out of sight.  All corrosion protected with zinc and black passivate.

Reply #177
Another DIY plating success:

Has anybody fitted the slam panel with the grill in position.  Or is connecting the horn and bonnet pull made too difficult?

Reply #178
Nice bit of detail, 1990s aftermarket alarm bonnet pin.  Scrubbed up well:

Reply #179
Grille fitted last. But that was only 'cos I took it off first followed by the lights then the bonnet release when I was fitting the aircon condenser.
I just put everything back in reverse order.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel