Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16621 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #150
Bay pics soon, going back in today:

Reply #151
Love the attention to detail on the clips
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #152
Thank you, the blue and brown clips fit really well. I chopped up a bike inner-tube to protect them from the clip pliers.
The green were a bit troublesome. The opacity of the paint was a bit thin so I had to put loads on. It chipped and looks over painted. Thankfully only one is visible. Will tidy up.

Reply #153
There is much interest in plating here right now.  This is my setup, plating 4 slam panel screws.

Black passivate.

Reply #154
At last some bay pictures, I know @Monkey was interested, also @L90E asked me to post reference pictures.  I'll point out where I have intentionally deviated from standard, that is mainly on the left and back of the engine.  These pictures are the top, front (as best I could get) and the underside.

Top (will take and edit in a better focused picture)

Edit, I'll add this as an extra picture, gives a different view:

Front / left:

Underside

Reply #155
Have to admire your attention to detail.
scs

Reply #156
Have to admire your attention to detail.
scs

Thank you, the result you see is exactly that, an attention to detail. This car is not like the really impressive restorations others are doing. All I have done is tidied up what was there. If there was rust I rubbed the patch down, converted it and touched it in. If a bolt was rusty I rust converted it and plated it.  Most of what you see is original, with the exception of the:
Water pump
Gearbox end plate / cover
Oil cooler
Some hose clips
Exhaust heat shield
Gear mechanism bushes and ball joints
Some bolts
ICV but it is 20 years old

Reply #157
Like SCS said, the attention to detail is fantastic.
You mentioned restorations, but it's very difficult to focus on the details when you're swinging engines about etc.

If I can get mine looking half as good as this, I'll be happy.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #158
Like SCS said, the attention to detail is fantastic.
You mentioned restorations, but it's very difficult to focus on the details when you're swinging engines about etc.

If I can get mine looking half as good as this, I'll be happy.
You will get it looking as good.  That plating kit you bought is all you needed.  You need black, clear and yellow passivate though if you want to be correct on colours.

Reply #159
The rest of the engine bay.

Left of engine, got rid of the awful orange dipstick:

Starter:

Gearbox, note that I have not tie wrapped the bulkhead and inner wing harnesses together on top of the box.  I had to shorten the screened cable to the knock sensor so I had to shorten the route for the bulkhead cables.  Also took the pressure off the wires to the dizzy:

Engine mount, dizzy etc, I have a solid mount but I notice hydro mounts are very reasonably priced.  Is it worth changing?

Top left / rear of engine.  Yes I know I have the wrong oil pressure switch but I figured it would work.

NS inner wing:

Rear of cylinder head, should those pipes to the heater crossover?
Edit. No they don't crossover, aftermarket pipes are not as good as original giving the impression they are incorrectly fitted.

Tie wraps will be trimmed back when the plumbing and circuits check out as leak free and correct.

Reply #161
7Zap to the rescue yet again. Pleased with these, original except for the dampers and they are 25 years old.

Note to self, get a better camera, the existing one is not coping with the lack of light in the repair cave.

Reply #162
Noticed this when scrubbing out my rear arches.  That is the C pillar and the rest of the car is just as bad. I'm going to get through pads and cutting compound sorting that out.
Strange thing is if I wax it and park it in the sun it looks mint.

Reply #163
Paint correction method sorted, just need an ultra soft microfiber or two or more.  Ceramic coat applied, new seal, what a job, and ready to go back on the car.

Sunroof brfore paint correction:

Reply #164
That sunroof looks great, like a black mirror!

You've probably guessed by now, but the reason it looks mint when you wax it is the wax fills all those small scratches.
Unfortunately it's always short lived as the wax can be washed out by regular maintenance washes.
If you've got the paint depth, it's always best to polish out the scratches and then seal with a ceramic coat.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v