Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16628 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #255
A couple of days ago I decided to tidy up the boot so that I could store the car cover and make a start on paint correction.  I'm still at it!  Treating a small number of minor rust spots and repairing this;

Probably the least fit for purpose part on a MK2 over the years it has been broken repeatedly while removing shopping and as a fix at some time in the past it was glued to the car with black silicone.  I've made missing bits out of a ready meal food container and strengthened the underside with black Gorilla tape.
The interesting thing is I feel that repairs like this detract from the originality of the car, like also the fiberglass reinforced heat shields or the wrong but superior design bungs in the floor pan.  Do I call the car original or restored?  Edit or maintained?
Mine completely disintegrated when I bought the car.
I did think about masking off the area and spraying black bed liner down
Though I can see that looking very bad, very quickly.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #256
Sure there is a guy reproducing these with a thicker plastic

Reply #257
So far mine is mainly intact but regularly "twangs" when getting stuff out.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #258
So far mine is mainly intact but regularly "twangs" when getting stuff out.
While it is in one piece (must be a pretty r a r e beast) I'd take it off and reinforce the back with black Gorilla tape.  Carefully cut out the holes and you can't see it.  Mine feels bomb proof after repair and taping.

Reply #259
The last barrier to getting Gordon back on his wheels and moving:

The repair kit contains more seals and components than I have found in the caliper.  Has anybody got an exploded view or rebuilt their rear calipers recently?  Thank you.

Reply #260
Found this video, I think some of the seals supplied are for later generation calipers like the one shown https://youtu.be/YHPX8lEHFKs

Reply #261
It looks like I only use 5 seals from the kit:

Any cleaver ideas for getting that circlip in?

Reply #262
Unbelievable effort required to fit a circlip:

Reply #263
Wow, impressive idea, I just used a modified pair of circlip pliers and a lot of swearing!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #264
Not an easy job, need to get them on the car now and see if they work and not leak:

Reply #265
Wow, impressive idea, I just used a modified pair of circlip pliers and a lot of swearing!

Surprised you managed that. The circlip was easy to fit if I didn’t include the hefty spring that it retains. The press was to compress the spring while I got the clip in place.  I couldn’t compress the spring by hand.

Reply #266
If I ever have to do it again, I'm just buying a new pair from Autodoc or somewhere!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #267
Oh man that looks a struggle, well done. Giving me the fear, I've just replaced a damaged caliper with a cheap AutoDoc one to get the car back on the road but also bought the seals to refurb the old one... Looks like it might be a challenge lol!

Reply #268
I admire the effort you've put into these calipers but I'm definitely going to continue to buy remaned ones in future!

Reply #269
Oh man that looks a struggle, well done. Giving me the fear, I've just replaced a damaged caliper with a cheap AutoDoc one to get the car back on the road but also bought the seals to refurb the old one... Looks like it might be a challenge lol!

Yes it is a challenge, somebody on the Facebook group managed this job with the rear wind back tool.  Didn't try that myself, tried a front wind back tool but couldn't then see what I was doing with the pliers.