Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16661 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #91
Replacing the foam in these flaps was never going to be easy.  It will have to do.

Reply #92
Significant progress today in the engine bay; should be able to start rebuilding tomorrow :-)
Stripping back to bare metal was never going to happen to this car.  I wanted to retain the VW seam sealer sprayed everywhere and we couldn't be bothered to paint it look.  By the time I had cleaned up some historic Hammerite with a 6" brush repairs and treated a bit of surface rust it was looking quite blotchy.  I discovered that if I mixed black paint to a spray consistency then brushed it on the sealer showed through and the blotches of new paint blended in.  It's only now about 50% original paint but I'm happy with the result.

Reply #93
I tried to do mine -hard to get the shape right then it split as I tried to fit it. That was rather....annoying.... I was probably using the wrong foam!

Yesterday I removed one of the dash speaker covers and found a nice large chunk of old heater flap sponge....It gets everywhere!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #94
I tried to do mine -hard to get the shape right then it split as I tried to fit it. That was rather....annoying.... I was probably using the wrong foam!

Yesterday I removed one of the dash speaker covers and found a nice large chunk of old heater flap sponge....It gets everywhere!
I used self adhesive neoprene foam. Had it a few years so can’t remember where I got it from. Each flap had 4 pieces of foam fitted. I cut a piece of backing twice the length of the foam and doubled it up on the sticky side of the foam. I inserted the foam and doubled up backing then pulled the backing out and the foam stuck in the flap. The 4 joints were glued and the excess trimmed off.

Reply #95
Even Gtechniq C4 couldn't fully bring this back to life.  Not to worry it's not brittle, new foam fitted and I'm off to the shed to fit it and all associated bits.

Reply #96
What is it?
It looks familiar but I just can't identify what it is.
C4 is like liquid gold but it works gr8 on my bumpers.

Reply #97
What is it?
It looks familiar but I just can't identify what it is.
C4 is like liquid gold but it works gr8 on my bumpers.

It's the rain tray for the bonnet vents.  Got badly chalked over the years by the sun.

Reply #98
I remember !!
When my car was resprayed that rain guard was also resprayed, I guess you could spray it in Plastikote satin black. (edited typo!)

Reply #99
I remember !!
When my car was resprayed that rain guard was also resprayed, I guess you could spray it in Plastikote satin black. (edited typo!)

That is a cracking good idea; however after the trouble I've had today I'll put that job on my to do later list.  Had to work my way through the aftermarket alarm wiring to work out why the indicators were permanently live.  Taken all day, the interior and fuse box are a mess but got a 1990s alarm working correctly :-)

Reply #100
..... however after the trouble I've had today I'll put that job on my to do later list.  Had to work my way through the aftermarket alarm wiring to work out why the indicators were permanently live.  Taken all day, the interior and fuse box are a mess but got a 1990s alarm working correctly :-)

As with the Caddy issue, wiring isn't my strong point. I haven't wired any of the electrical extras I've installed in the Golf yet! Also there is still wiring for parts of my alarm that I physically ripped out when the battery went flat and the alarm went off in the work car park....Thing is I'd lost the fob so couldn't switch it off!  :D
Good luck.

Reply #101
Thanks @AndyBa , job was a pain but it all worked out quite well, 1990s alarm tested, cleaned up and back in position:

Alarm wiring harness repaired with new inline fuses (above brake servo):

Inside car alarm wires integrated into mail harness (two orange alarm wires visible)

Reply #102
Closest I'm coming to a drive for some time.  Sit in the garden and make GTi noises. 

The more I work on this car the less of a car I have.

Reply #103
Those seats look remarkably good no wear on the drivers seat bolsters
scs

Reply #104
Those seats look remarkably good no wear on the drivers seat bolsters
scs
They are good 89K miles and original, actually not quite there was a warranty claim on the drivers seat but the car was less than 12 months old.  I was much thinner back in the 90s.  Interesting to see if they start to suffer when subject to my aging fat butt.