Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16184 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #30
Corroded bulb holders rust converted and plated.  The big stuff is progressing but everything is held up for one or two minor bits.  Big stuff in a while.

Reply #31
Half looked at getting into plating things but never progressed it... think it's something I'd like to do eventually, certainly looks to get top notch results.

Reply #32
Half looked at getting into plating things but never progressed it... think it's something I'd like to do eventually, certainly looks to get top notch results.
It’s only the small stuff that I do myself. The bigger stuff, callipers for example, need to go to a good plating shop.
Next week I have my biggest challenge, MK2 rear brake carriers, then CV joints. Anything bigger is difficult in your kitchen. 

Reply #33
These had to be done while the kitchen was a plating plant  :)) .

Reply #34
Cylinder head almost ready to go back on, just need to scrub up and fit the fuel rail and make up a couple of connectors to go between the exhaust and inlet manifolds. It has had new valve seals, new exhaust valve guides and a skim.  Also had the exhaust port face skimmed, damaged due to a blowing exhaust manifold gasket.

Reply #35
It's been so long since I took it apart, I think I have it right.  It will be obvious when I offer it up to the car.

Reply #36
Take plenty of piccies... I've a feeling I'm going to have to tackle that job some time soon.

Reply #38
OK this is cheating but having wrestled the plastic off the front bumper yesterday to send the metal for blasting there was no way I was going there with the rear when this was sat in the attic.  Original in attic just in case I get rear ended at some time in the future.

Reply #39
Take plenty of piccies... I've a feeling I'm going to have to tackle that job some time soon.
Don't delay this job, some of the parts are now quite difficult to come by.  The mounting rubbers and clips had to be imported from Greece.  The pump screws, pump seal, VAG fuel pipe and VAG filter had been in my attic since last century 🤣.  Don't delay the job like I did.

Reply #40
Made plenty of progress this week but mainly painting suspension components and a sub-frame.  This small bit is the bit I'm most pleased with; a rusty grease ball rescued:

Reply #41
There is a cheap and easy way to remove rust on bits like that - immerse them in a solution of water and molasses. Don't laugh it really works and there are a few vids on You Tube to prove it.

I just got a packet of granulated molasses from Morrisons dissolved it in a bucket of hot water then left the rusty item in it for a week or two, longer if needed. When you get the part out it is covered in a slimey residue which easily comes off with a wire/scrubbing brush. You'll be amazed by the results. If you live in the country you can probably get it from a place that supplies animal feed. It's sold ready diluted as an animal feed additive!

The only thing I would say is that the garage smelled a bit wierd!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #42
There is a cheap and easy way to remove rust on bits like that - immerse them in a solution of water and molasses. Don't laugh it really works and there are a few vids on You Tube to prove it.

I just got a packet of granulated molasses from Morrisons dissolved it in a bucket of hot water then left the rusty item in it for a week or two, longer if needed. When you get the part out it is covered in a slimey residue which easily comes off with a wire/scrubbing brush. You'll be amazed by the results. If you live in the country you can probably get it from a place that supplies animal feed. It's sold ready diluted as an animal feed additive!

The only thing I would say is that the garage smelled a bit wierd!

Thank you, molasses is a technique I use for rust conversion, usually for bigger bits that I can wait for, also the speed of conversion is heat sensitive so it tends to be a summer method.  I'll be posting my drive shafts soon, they were rust converted in molasses.  I get horse feed molasses from an equestrian shop locally.  It amuses them when I explain what I use it for, I'm clearly not the horsey type.

For the latch release thing I removed the rust using electrolytic rust conversion.  A tub of soapy water, a battery charger and a sacrificial anode (old brake disc).  Connect it all up, switch on and the rust melts away and becomes a nasty slime at the bottom of the tank.

Reply #43
@AndyBa Gordon's drive shafts being treated in Molasses diluted with water:

How they look now, everything is original except for gaskets, cir-clips, grease and the lock nuts:

Reply #44
That looks great, I'll be off to the local horse shop soon!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v