Skip to main content
Topic: First Car... (Read 386 times) previous topic - next topic

First Car...

Just spotted on the news that it's the 40th anniversary of the BL Metros launch.

My first ever car, after passing my test was a MG Metro, bought it new in 1984 - 1300cc of raw power in gloss black.

Actually a nice wee car to drive and be in, though on reflection maybe not so sharp in the looks department.

Got about a mile up the road on pick-up day and it ran out of fuel, gangster main dealer hadn't bothered to put anything in it.

Two days later a Co-op milk lorry decided to move off into the back of me while waiting at a junction - new tail gate / bumper and more.

Few months later the water pump failed - new engine under waranty.

Just had a check and the tax ran out in 1995, never to be renewed... probably dead now, but still a surprise it latested that long!

Traded it in early for a used Polo Coupe though that turned out to have an iffy insurance damaged / repaired history, but got me hooked on VW's

Re: First Car...

Reply #1
My older brother's first car was an MG Metro too, bought around 1988/89 if I remember right. A metallic blue one. Was Y reg, LOU 21Y so about 6 years old by my reckoning when he got it.

The day before he was due to pick it up he came off his motorbike and broke his left wrist. This wasn't going to stop him picking it up, I went with him and had to do the gear changes. I then had to go out with him every time he drove to do the changes for him. lol

He went on to load it up with Kenwood audio ... and I mean top end stuff. Probably more value than the car, and competed in the first European In Car Entertainment Sound Off. Held in Bristol Watershed exhibition centre, probably into 1990 by now. He came second and lost out to a really nice black Lancia Delta.

Later on the car was nicked and found burnt out, I went out to help recover it, it was not a pretty sight.