Skip to main content
Topic: Where to find rubber roof mouldings? (Read 665 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to find rubber roof mouldings?

Hi folks
First post on the forum
I've been restoring a 1.6 petrol 3 door that somebody gave me for the last year or so. It had some fire damage to its paintwork having been parked next to a car that was on fire briefly, before being moved, and was in a sorry state mechanically but is otherwise fairly sound.
I'm nearing the end and I've done more or less everything, and I'm now trying to replace the rubber strips/mouldings that run up the side of the windscreen and along each edge of the roof to the top of the tailgate.
Item 30 here:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1989-92/8/853-168010/#30

Judging by the mess I made of getting them off I'm sure I'm going to have loads of people saying "Noooo, just leave them - too difficult to put back on straight, can't find them as replacement parts" etc, but the thing is the fire damage had wrecked them so I kindof have to replace them. Them problem is the metal U channel in the middle and trying not to bend it out of shape...

Any advice on where I can find a replacement set?

Or any advice on taking them off in such a was as to not bend/warp them too much if i manage to find a car being broken.

Re: Where to find rubber roof mouldings?

Reply #1
First off, hello and welcome.

Unfortunately they are no longer available new, although VW classic parts are starting to reproduce NLA parts for the growing classic market. There is rumours this will become available, but not sure if that's the whole thing or just a rubber repair kit, so until that happens your only option is a good used set, which are hard to find and because of this people ask a lot for them.  Not sure of the current going rate, as prices for parts are continuing to rise but I'd say expect to pay around £150.

I do have a spare pair for a 3 door, but they're not in great condition and the rail did get kinked by a carless builder moving stuff around my garage when we were having work done.

They're also difficult to ship, so collection is usually the only option offered so you not only have to find some, you have to find some local enough, or be willing to travel.

Also take into account they are different for 3 and 5 door, so make sure you get the right ones.

There is knack to taking them off and refitting, but I'm not sure what it is. lol

Reply #2
Thanks V much
Yes that's kindof what I was expecting the situation to be!
I think i might have found one in a breakers nearby so i'l have to have a think about how to get them off. The main thing as far as I can see it just trying to preserve the original shape as far as possible. When I did it on my car it was the first time so I didn't really know how to do it, and also now I have an idea more or less where the clips are so I reckon it might be a question of getting a wee lever in as close as possible to the clips

Reply #3
try matthew palmer or brendon moss via facebook, both do mk2 breaking. they also come up on ebay.  I have 1 pair but come with rest of car...lol

Reply #4
How do you get them off?  Did it years ago but the wings were off at the time.
I think I started at the front one clip at a time to an anchor post at the back. How do you get them with the wings still on?

Reply #5
I thought you start at the back, lifting off the anchor post but I could be wrong.

I think Monkey was with me when I removed the ones of the car I was dismantling. The golf I have now has been previously painted and the strips don't fit right at the back. I'm too nervous to try fiddling with them but would be good to know the knack also.

Reply #7
Thanks very much folks
Yes hadn't looked on youtube yet  :-[
That guys is doing more or less what I planned if I can find a breaker, at least he manages to keep it kinda straight!