Skip to main content
Topic: Speedo woes (Read 899 times) previous topic - next topic

Speedo woes

Hey guys

My Speedo doesn’t work. Any preliminary tests I should do? Common faults?

Cheers

Re: Speedo woes

Reply #1
It’s mechanical, cable driven so there’s not much to go wrong.

First question: has the instrument cluster been removed anytime recently? The Speedo cable sometimes doesn’t click back in to place properly and can pop off.

So there’s a drive in the gearbox. Which can drop off into the gearbox if you’re not careful when removing the speedo cable.

There’s the cable itself

and there’s the Speedo unit.

The Speedo unit doesn’t usually fail, but the cogs can wear and prevent the mileage counter form counting on. But in that instance Speedo still works.

Reply #2
It’s mechanical, cable driven so there’s not much to go wrong.

First question: has the instrument cluster been removed anytime recently? The Speedo cable sometimes doesn’t click back in to place properly and can pop off.

So there’s a drive in the gearbox. Which can drop off into the gearbox if you’re not careful when removing the speedo cable.

There’s the cable itself

and there’s the Speedo unit.

The Speedo unit doesn’t usually fail, but the cogs can wear and prevent the mileage counter form counting on. But in that instance Speedo still works.

Well I’ve just found that my Speedo cable had snapped. Quite bizzare really not sure how that happened. I guess I’ll have to be a new cable. I unclipped it from the dash cluster and then removed it from gearbox and a chunk of the cable inside just fell out

What is this drive you talking about and how would I know if it’s dropped into gearbox?

Reply #8
Job done 👍🏼

How do I upload a pic?