Skip to main content
Topic: 1.6 EZ Misfire (Read 658 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6 EZ Misfire

Hi all, left work to drive home tonight and the engine got really lumpy on idle, then when accelerating the engine dies and it startes bucking only while in gear and trying to drive.
I got home left it a couple of hours went back out, still misfiring, I did notice that if I rest my foot on the accelerator pedal the misfire got really bad, then it cut out, started it back up and went for a drive and now its smooth again like nothings wrong, it's done this 2 or 3 times now recently then goes back to being fine, its had a new fuel filter, fuel pump and the carb has been set up (weber) I've replaced all the vac hoses and checked for splits in the carb mount, all fine.
I've unseized the flap in the air box and made sure its all working (it is) I've replaced the heat pipe from the manifold, changed the plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm.

I've looked all over the net and just can't find the exact same problem I'm getting, I haven't changed the distributor or coil but it isn't getting hot at all only warm, I haven't changed the swirl pot!
Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏

Re: 1.6 EZ Misfire

Reply #1
Just an idea,change the condenser on points. Also rotate check wear on distributor cam on each lobe against the points . Known one be buckled

Reply #2
Has the carb been cleaned? I would suggest to do a full clean on the carb and check the accelerator pump functionality. When has the timing belt been done? Known error on timing belt install is to jank it too tight and that causes wear on the "distributor cam" bearings and thats a engine out job to fix. I would check the timing with a timing lamp to be sure the timing is staying stable at all rpm's.

Easy method to check for vacuum leaks is to carefully spray brake cleaner to all manifold/carb/hoses, if the rpm's rise you have found a leak, but remember be careful when spraying it especially if the engine is hot and the exhaust manifold is right under the intake.
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #3
Check the wiring to the coil, from factory they are only just long enough which causes stress and breaks the cable down inside. Wiggle them while running near the coil with something suitably insulted to stop you getting a shock. I found a break that would intermittently cause my misfire and cut the wire out and spliced in a longer one and had no issues since :)

Reply #4
I would suspect the coil pack,
I had one that had a small crack on casing letting water in when wet.

Reply #5
Iv had this when I had a slight crack/hole in the carb flange. Make sure all bolted down tight and not damage.