Skip to main content
Topic: The Winter Beater  (Read 876 times) previous topic - next topic

The Winter Beater

As winter was approaching, I was getting more and more concerned about using the E30 daily. I had been looking at cheap cars on eBay and Autotrader around the £2000 mark and was getting really stuck on what to buy next, when I was approached by someone stating they had an A3 for sale.

I went to view the car as it was local and stated price was £500ono - It was a pigstye, full of tool boxes, filthy/muddy inside and out. Unfortunately the previous owner had passed away, although he was consistently using the car for long journeys before illness. The car had been sitting approx. 3 weeks and now had an engine managment light on the dash. Further inspection showed a bit of corrosion on the roof gutter and it had a little clutch judder. On the other hand, the car was only on 111k and had full service history.

So I made an offer and for the sum of £250, I now have a new daily! Even came with front and rear dashcams! These have now been removed and awaiting to fit on Jasmine's Mii.

Prior to the previous owner, the car was used as courtesy car at a local garage and as such all maintainance should have been kept up to date with annual services. They even had written on the engine covers:

First thing! DEEP CLEAN!

So as you can see, it's beyond disgusting! I therefore, washed it a few times, decided to give the car a full interior valet - had to take everything out that it came with too!

So now it was washed, I decided to take a look at the engine managment light. Deleted the error and it's not come back so that's a win!

I went to pick up a set of mirrors too as the casing on the passenger side is all taped. It turns out there is a slight difference between facelife and pre facelift fitting. FAIL At least these have been sold now! Also, it seems that just the glass is damaged so I'll have to find another blue glass to attach.

Treated it to a new set of Audi plates today too!

Although went to check my oil and this happened:

So this has now been ordered and pending collection. Luckily managed to get all the bits out of the tube. Additionally, whilst looking through the history with Ben, it was noticed that the cambelt and water pump was completed at 77k. That's good, or so I thought, looked at the date and it states 03/2010. Therefore, ordered a Gates cambelt and waterpump kit, going to give it a oil service, filter service etc. I'm sure there will be further updates although really I hope these are on the BMW thread. I suppose we will see.

However, current list stands:

• Cambelt and Waterpump kit change
  • Full service
  • Headlight restoration
  • Possible clutch change

Re: The Winter Beater

Reply #2
That’s a decent little buy for a bargain price. Worse case scenario use till it fails and mot and break it, you’ll get more than your £250 back. Just don’t get carried away trying to restore it

Yes it’s not bad, thankfully I’ve sold some bits that came with it for nearly the same price as purchase so essentially it’s free. I’ve been quite surprised with it, timing kit and water pump with engine servicing bits has only come to £150 so far, I’ll probably just keep using it till it breaks as don’t want to park a nice car in the station when everything goes back to normal.

Reply #3
I was thinking that too, Tim, easy to get carried away.

Though if your dipstick is that brittle, I'll guarantee the dipstick holder is too, I'd get a new one on while it's still in one piece.

Still, total bargain!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
I was thinking that too, Tim, easy to get carried away.

Though if your dipstick is that brittle, I'll guarantee the dipstick holder is too, I'd get a new one on while it's still in one piece.

Still, total bargain!

I was thinking much the same, I suppose we will see!

Reply #5
Okay, so a minit update,

The Audi had it's mot so put the new plates on ready:

So went to the MOT, typically a bulb blew half way through but luckily the lights had already been tested so came away with a pass! Only one advisory regarding the cloudy headlights which is great. Had a look underneath, doesn't look too bad!

As a treat, I decided to get some new Osram Night Breaker Laser bulbs and put the new dipstick in.

As a further treat, now I have more confidence in putting money in the car - the cambelt was well overdue by time so went over to Ben's to get that sorted. This was my first time doing a cambelt and Ben guided me through the process effortlessly.

Let the strip down commence:

Dirty under here!

Sorry, didn't really take many pictures as was trying to learn and get it sorted.

Together:

Timed!

Quick wipe down:

New air filter in while I was there too - oil service, plug and cabin filter to change next time!

Reply #6
Little update:

Went out to start the car for Jasmine, it was dead. Cold days prior probably hasn't helped so got the battery out:

Everything was filthy - so quick clean.

Popped to Halfords and all done: