Skip to main content
Topic: Bushes (Read 550 times) previous topic - next topic

Bushes

Just seeing if anyone would have some guidance on replacing bushes all round the car? I thought whilst its being stripped to shell I may swell go right through it :(
When looking for a full kit all I seem to get is the power flex poly ones coming up, would this be a good option or is there a more original one that's recommended?  Read a few people in the past finding the poly bush hard but I've never used them myself.

Re: Bushes

Reply #1
Depending on the usage of your car I would say for general road use just replace with good quality OE rubber, lemförder for example.

So let's think about this for a moment, most people are dealing with 30 year old worn out and perished rubber. They fit polybush and say
"WOW - what a difference, but the ride is a bit harsh."

Now take that scenario and replace 30 year old OE bushes with new OE bushes.... now all they have to say is
"WOW - what a difference, so smooth"

I took this route with my BMW e30 Touring which was a wallowy boat.... and my gosh what an improvement. And because it was rear wheel drive and there's also a cush drive mid prop, replacing that improved acceleration pick up as the drive was instant, now power loss in the driveshaft or flex in the rear training arms.

Reply #2
Second to Eddy's comments. I changed the bushes on my Corrado for new OEM bushes all round. It was like night and day the difference - so smooth!

I really noticed the difference on a concrete section of the M25. Before changing the bushes it was quite jarring going over the expansion gaps but on replacing they became muted thuds which I couldnt feel at all. 

Reply #3
Yeah completely get what you’re saying  as it makes perfect sense. Is there anywhere particular you’d recommend to buy the OEM bushes from?

Reply #4
Something else to add to the "to do" list. Never been quite happy with the way the backend feels and this might be why.
Looks a bit of a b4ll4che of a job tho perhaps I better dowse with Plusgas now and free-off the nuts and make the job easier when the time comes.
Saw Monkey doing his rear brakes and bushes on the MK2 Channel....
Maybe do mine when spring/summer comes!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel