Skip to main content
Topic: Buying a Mk2 in Spain (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a Mk2 in Spain

Hi everyone,

Recently a nice looking mk2 came up for sale near me..I am planning to go and look at it over the weekend.
I've been speaking to the owner and she mentioned that the distributor rotor and cap need changed. How simple a job is this? i had a look at parts and they aren't too expensive from what I've seen..

It's a 1991 1.6 petrol, bodywork looks great from what I can see from the photos. What kind of price do you think is reasonable? Currently the owner is looking for 1800e

Thanks for any help in advance
Euan

Re: Buying a Mk2 in Spain

Reply #1
Hi. I'm looking to buy a mk2 in spain also at this time and looking at one soon there asking 1500e. Distribution can is easy to change just note where the leads are for plugs a d put in same position to spark plugs. The mk2 are getting more expensive .you could always negotiate on price. Need a long itv ,(spanish mot). The emmision tests are getting harder to pass on older cars worth bearing in mind when buying

Reply #2
I think we might be looking at the same one, the owner just dropped the asking price. Where is yours?

Reply #3
Hi guys, what's the availability where you are, I they still fairly common or not so much these days?

You should have the benefit of not being as rusty as a UK one as your weather is better. The dizzy cap and rotor are cheap and just snap into place, an easy roadside fix.

Reply #4
Hi Eddy,

There are a few around on the roads (ranging from the ratty to the immaculate) but it’s quite  "uncommon"  that one comes up for sale, where I am anyway.

The owner of the one I’m looking at just offered me it for a grand if I sort out the breakdown.. however it rings a few warning bells as the car doesn’t start and she claimed that the necessary repairs would cost 120e. In my eyes something doesn’t add up, or perhaps I’m not enough of a risk taker.

Reply #5
Hi eddy not the same one the one I'm looking at is 1300.in murcia area of spain white one. Yes that's good thing about buying a car in Spain not much body corrosion little rain and no salt in southern part on roads

Reply #6
The opinion over here is get one with a good shell, the less rust or damage the better. Everything mechanical can be fixed easily enough and not usually that expensive.

If it's a non-runner that can make things harder as you can't just hop in and drive away but if that's not a problem I'd say go for it.

Obviously your confidence and mechanical ability will determine how much of a risk it is, but they're easy to work on and good cars to learn with.

At absolute worse case, even if you ended up looking at a full replacement engine, a direct swap is not much trouble. I guess availability might be your only worry. A standard 1.6 over here would be cheap as many people pull them out for more modern engine conversions.

I doubt that would be required, basically it's ether mechanical, electrical or fuel related. And a fairly simple process of elimination.

If it turns over on the key, you have power.
If it has a spark, you have ignition, so likely to be fuel related, carb set up!
If it has fuel and no spark, then it will be the ignition system; cap, rotor, leads etc.
If it has power, fuel and spark but still won't go then possibly bigger problems, lack of compression so might need a head gasket, but again quite an easy fix and plenty of help from people here to walk you through it.

Reply #7
Cheers Eddy,

Still haven’t had a chance to go and look at it, hopefully will do in the next couple of days.

It’s currently parked at a VW garage, so it’s not the worst place for it to be stuck for a while haha.

Thanks for the tips, will update this post if I go and look it at/buy it and then I imagine I’ll have many more questions!

Euan