Skip to main content
Topic: Alarm choices (Read 2420 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Alarm choices

Reply #15
The immobiliser with the proximity ring used to be my go-to immobilising device.
Very good, right up until the key ring breaks or you have a starting issue and can't trust it when diagnosing!
Nowadays, I'm going for a tracker and a hidden switch in the car.

Agreed, my point was if the insurance co. were insisting on some CAT measure then that would be my option. I doubt I'd fit one if I didn't already have one fitted. I did consider removing my alarm but it was a spider web of black wired heavily integrated into the loom. I didn't want to open that can of worms. I thought I'd best leave it, at least till it gives me any trouble.

Reply #16
I installed a Clifford alarm/immobiliser when I put my car back together, no dodgy scotch locks or tape. Used proper connectors and de-pinned the factory terminal blocks swapping out for alarm wires.

Most annoying thing is the battery drain. Keep thinking about a solar panel trickle charger.

Reply #17
Feel your pain, my blue one suffers from that, I've bought a ctek for the blue one now.
But the red one and Corrado will need a solar one.  Have you seen any decent ones?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #18
big fan of fitting a hidden switch on the fuel pump, personally think alarms are a waste of time. The neighbours house alarm goes off all the time and nobody ever goes to check

Reply #19
I feel alarms are irrelevant when you talk about today's mk2 - in reality, do you really think someone is going to "hotwire" a mk2? I doubt it today, certainly true 10 yrs ago. In todays world it'll be put on a low loader and stripped for bits.

I would never recommend an alarm system for theft prevention on a mk2 - yes for general security ( window smashed, tilt sensor for wheels etc) but not for theft.

security on a Mk2 needs to be a Thatcham approved cat6 tracker, dont bother with the cheap ebay ones, you need confidence not doubt. To keep your own mind at bay add a cat2 touch imobaliser - we prefer the cobra as it a really neat install but to be fair choose whatever you fancy - as long as it's a certified cat2.

We been installing alarms for 20+ years, clifford approved, toad, cobra etc - the truth is they are all about the same, its all down to how good your installer is ;)

My Mk2 has a CAT2 touch imob. and a cat6 tracker. I have ever confidence that if someting did happen id get it back.

Reply #20
Have a look at thatcham approved trackers
Alarm/immobiliser approved and authorised to alert the police instantly incase of theft detection.