Skip to main content
Topic: Alarm choices (Read 2392 times) previous topic - next topic

Alarm choices

Morning all,

So looking at alarm choices to help with keeping my 8v on my driveway and to deter would be thieves. Have been looking at different options and decided to get a Cat1 as the car is a long term investment so want good security.

Ive been looking and the recommended alarm was the Toad ai606 but all the forum posts are from the early 00's lol

I've been quoted £3-400 however no mention of alarm 'brand'

Any advice on a good Cat1 and anything I should be looking out for when getting an install, thanks

Re: Alarm choices

Reply #1
http://www.clifford.co.uk/ProductPages/Security_650_MK2.html 

http://www.laserlinedirect.com/products/alarm-systems/laserline-213.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD2FQ6F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07WD2FQ6F&pd_rd_w=qHpGB&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=RKP41&pf_rd_r=DVVEM40YE1CCBRD3QGR9&pd_rd_r=d4a1981e-06aa-4cdc-914f-ed6152f69d6c&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRlkyUE9BWTFYQlVIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzkyMTEyTkZBQTU0SUVNNEFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NzIwOTkxUUlETjgyNlhUM040JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

then check monthly charges... you can get trackers pretty cheap..its the monthly charges that sting.  just add into the loom somewhere, be aware that  alarms  trackers do add to battery drains...   ive got  laserline on mk1 sportline and mk2 gti added to dog, and 5 cctv cameras.
the quote will be for purchasing £120-200and then £2-300 or so for fitting i guess, not sure what installion time would be or if you want central locking adding to it, moving trims to fit sensors..  depending hourly rate local charges are.. here its £25 to 75 ph  so can easily come to 500£ if 4 hrs labour

Reply #2
http://www.clifford.co.uk/ProductPages/Security_650_MK2.html 

http://www.laserlinedirect.com/products/alarm-systems/laserline-213.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD2FQ6F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07WD2FQ6F&pd_rd_w=qHpGB&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=RKP41&pf_rd_r=DVVEM40YE1CCBRD3QGR9&pd_rd_r=d4a1981e-06aa-4cdc-914f-ed6152f69d6c&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRlkyUE9BWTFYQlVIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzkyMTEyTkZBQTU0SUVNNEFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NzIwOTkxUUlETjgyNlhUM040JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

then check monthly charges... you can get trackers pretty cheap..its the monthly charges that sting.  just add into the loom somewhere, be aware that  alarms  trackers do add to battery drains...   ive got  laserline on mk1 sportline and mk2 gti added to dog, and 5 cctv cameras.
the quote will be for purchasing £120-200and then £2-300 or so for fitting i guess, not sure what installion time would be or if you want central locking adding to it, moving trims to fit sensors..  depending hourly rate local charges are.. here its £25 to 75 ph  so can easily come to 500£ if 4 hrs labour

Thanks for this! Have been speaking to Ghost Installations who quoted me a £375 for a Cat1 Viper alarm install but their website is a bit vague and the email train was a bit ... Vague aswell.. doesn't inspire me with confidence.
Also had a local auto electrics quote £400 for Cat1 install, so seems to be right, had heard about Clifford.

Trackers seem interesting! Are they worth the investment for true peace of mind would you say?

Reply #3
I despise aftermarket alarms, I'd sooner have a simple DIY immobiliser and maybe a tracker, but if you're set on an alarm/immobiliser I'd go Cobra personally.

I'd also fit it yourself, it is incredibly simple and you know it isn't just lashed up then.

I'm sure there are 1 or 2 decent alarm fitters out there, but I've removed countless (honestly, I couldn't even guess at how many) and all it ever is is half assed soldering and cheap electrical tape, and it's  "uncommon" ly the fitters fault as they genuinely think, and are told, that that is the way to do it.

You are as qualified as the majority of them are to fit one and then have a working understanding of your particular install as well.

Reply #4
Oh yeah, while I'm here could you moderator folks sort this lame filter out? I get that it was probably funny at the idea stage, but you can't even have a normal conversation 🙄

Reply #5
hahaha yes its true enough.. if someone wants your car they will take it regardless direct on to a trailer.   But if the insurer is demanding proof of approved installer then thats it im afraid you have to pay.  Trackers work and show exactly where you are and speed of car etc. whether the police would follow the guidance from GPS has yet to be proven, and more of big brother if you pay someone to monitor them.  # Tom sounds a bit grumpy...but i reckon he's come a cropper with some bad installs and dead keyfob batteries.  I have removed a few myself, just to get car running again.

Reply #6
I know my car sits all tucked up in a garage but there is something not right about that siren box in the engine bay, I had an auto electrician for a toggle switch to the fuel pump in a hidden location which is pretty much all an immobiliser does , could you not then add a tracking device hidden somewhere, lots nowadays include a tamper system which could alert you and let you track the car without all the siren malarkey?  Tracking devices  can be had for a fraction of your “cobra/viper” and shouldn’t cause some of the problems they seem to generate

Reply #7
I know my car sits all tucked up in a garage but there is something not right about that siren box in the engine bay, I had an auto electrician for a toggle switch to the fuel pump in a hidden location which is pretty much all an immobiliser does , could you not then add a tracking device hidden somewhere, lots nowadays include a tamper system which could alert you and let you track the car without all the siren malarkey?  Tracking devices  can be had for a fraction of your “cobra/viper” and shouldn’t cause some of the problems they seem to generate

I've already said to the missus that a garage will be top 3 in things for the new house when we move haha! I will be dry storing in a lockuo over winter so will disconnect everything etc for that, basically I want the big alarm for my own peace of mind..also the kill switch under the bonnet might be handy... But need to but the bullet and not 'overprotect' where the fun of owning disappears! Ha

Reply #8
I despise aftermarket alarms, I'd sooner have a simple DIY immobiliser and maybe a tracker, but if you're set on an alarm/immobiliser I'd go Cobra personally.

I'd also fit it yourself, it is incredibly simple and you know it isn't just lashed up then.

I'm sure there are 1 or 2 decent alarm fitters out there, but I've removed countless (honestly, I couldn't even guess at how many) and all it ever is is half assed soldering and cheap electrical tape, and it's Gammon ly the fitters fault as they genuinely think, and are told, that that is the way to do it.

You are as qualified as the majority of them are to fit one and then have a working understanding of your particular install as well.

Agreed bud, I'll definitely be making sure the install is good enough tbh, however the car currently has an old immobiliser system which is no longer in use.. similar to this one in picture

It has a nasty led aswell in an old switch, will be removed,
Just want to have some sort of additional security  8)

Reply #9
Good call from Mark, I forgot insurers often want a certificate from the installer, so definitely worth taking that on board.

If it's just for yourself though, most generally just have a few grounds, ignition lives, permanent lives and a couple of wires to interrupt the starter and/or coil and fuel pump so it is very simple stuff and you can buy a decent alarm for cheap or a full on Thatcham 2 Cobra with 3 immo circuits for 150 quid and fit it a morning, I think the same system is about 400 as you mentioned, so comes down to if there's an insurer asking for details.

The fusebox info at A2resource.com will get you through the install easily too if going that route.

Reply #10
Some research needed but stick something like this  in the drivers door and it will let you know if someone opens it and you can track the car if it’s taken
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/itrack-mini-wireless-gps-tracker-406766.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motoring%3ECar+Security-_-Motoring%3ECar+Security-_-406766&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=ilaliawrr&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971%7Ccid:1597776703%7Cagid:59288237886%7Ctid:pla-601931313560%7Ccrid:303053191864%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:6817196553048130614%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9045312&gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxe16EemFeGmVQE-hLZYWzvfHmRnvZ0dXlO1jEJ0D82D26knRIvU3WBoC4UQQAvD_BwE

Reply #11
Pandora is a really good option too. I'm looking to get this installed on my Mk2. I've currently got it installed on my BMW M6... all the sensors you can imagine, remote start, live tracking and all the tech you'd want topped with 4G connection too.

Reply #12
Vodafone have just started doing a tracker for £20 +£2/month contract.
I've got one to play with and it does seem like it a good piece of kit, especially with the accompanying app on the phone.
It's an IP rated battery affair.
I'm developing a 3D printed box with a charger hook up built in, so it can be wired into the car and hidden somewhere out the way.
Every time it leaves your designated area, you get a ping on the app. Even if they disconnect the car battery, the tracker still works for 7 days after.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #13
Back in the day when I got my first GTI it was a requirement for the insurance, so I had a Cat 2 immobiliser fitted. I think that's why so many have old alarm/immobilisers fitted now. My current one has a Toad alarm fitted, to my knowledge pretty state of the art at the time, just a shame it wasn't wired into the central locking.

So personally if I didn't already have a Cat 1 alarm fitted, I'd go with a tracker and Cat 2 immobiliser.

Some immobilisers have a little plug in dibber, those are annoying. The one in my last Golf had a toggle on the key ring and some kind of proximity loop hidden in the steering column casing, so just putting the key in the ignition was close enough so there was no added inconvenience to starting the car.

Depending on where you park and the area you live in, something like a wheel clamp, or bollards on the driveway would be a good extra measure.

For those that have the luxury of parking in a garage, avoid having any visible extra garage security. Popular topic on motorbike forums is if you have one of those garage door bars, they have the opposite effect. Instead of being a visible deterrent they shout "hey guys, over here, there's something worth nicking hidden in here!"

Reply #14
The immobiliser with the proximity ring used to be my go-to immobilising device.
Very good, right up until the key ring breaks or you have a starting issue and can't trust it when diagnosing!
Nowadays, I'm going for a tracker and a hidden switch in the car.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v