Skip to main content
Topic: Vent Gauge holder... Or what other options? (Read 1154 times) previous topic - next topic

Vent Gauge holder... Or what other options?

Evening all,

I have got a Oil Pressure gauge on its way to me, however I'm looking for advice on where to place a single VDO gauge in my GTI?

any other suggestions on where to put it please would be great

Thanks

Re: Vent Gauge holder... Or what other options?

Reply #1
I've actually just 3d printed a triple gauge mount to fit in my center console.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
I've actually just 3d printed a triple gauge mount to fit in my center console.

Do you have a Votex console? I've seen one on awesome GTI for a 3 one where the ashtray is.. which I was looking at..

Talk to me though about this 3d printed one..

Reply #3
I'm sure you've seen the air vent pods already, seem like a good OE'ish look and reversible if you change your mind.

Just picked this one at random as the images are quite detailed and clearer than most -

Rhyatgaugepods

Most gauges in themselves aren't air tight and even the Marine versions are only guaranteed waterproof from the front from what I can see. If the vent's are still able to send hot or cold air passed the gauge it might be prone to fogging up or condensation inside?

VDO do standalone pods (or 'cups' if your Googling) of their own, though there's plenty of cheaper (and probably poorer quality) versions about.

They can basically be mounted wherever you like - VDO's are rock solid when fitted with no risk of vibration etc.

VDO Shop

The 205 is very limited as to where you can easily add additional gauges, this is where I put one. I'll be doing something similar with the MK2.

Reply #4
I'm sure you've seen the air vent pods already, seem like a good OE'ish look and reversible if you change your mind.

Just picked this one at random as the images are quite detailed and clearer than most -

Rhyatgaugepods

Most gauges in themselves aren't air tight and even the Marine versions are only guaranteed waterproof from the front from what I can see. If the vent's are still able to send hot or cold air passed the gauge it might be prone to fogging up or condensation inside?

VDO do standalone pods (or 'cups' if your Googling) of their own, though there's plenty of cheaper (and probably poorer quality) versions about.

They can basically be mounted wherever you like - VDO's are rock solid when fitted with no risk of vibration etc.

VDO Shop

The 205 is very limited as to where you can easily add additional gauges, this is where I put one. I'll be doing something similar with the MK2.

Thanks @L90E ! I had seen the air vent ones, and wasn't sure on the quality -

However - after I had bought a 2nd hand gauge and sender... my FIL has just offered me some VDO gauges that he had lying around.. Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Voltage - the picture he has is from around 2008 so I don't know what condition they're in

They are ridiculously similar to your own ( @L90E ) including the Textured Bezels, so now i have gone from 0 to 4 gauges . . . great haha,

I'm looking at the Newsouth Ashtray Gauge Panel as I don't have a Votex Console and i like having a radio!

will get some pics as soon as he has dug them out of his garage and dropped them over - buzzing though

Reply #5
I printed it the other day, so I haven't had a chance to final fit, but it's looking promising.
Designed to go into the standard center console cubby hole
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
I printed it the other day, so I haven't had a chance to final fit, but it's looking promising.
Designed to go into the standard center console cubby hole
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr

Will there be enough room for the depth of the bottom guage?

Reply #8
I've got mine mounted instead of a stereo, was planning on putting stereo where the ash tray is.

Reply #9
Yeah, that's a good point, I need to see if that will work or not, there is a small spacer that allows you to mount it.
That'll push it 5mm further forward and might save the day.
Either way, I need to take my gauges out the stereo slot to have a go at it and feedback.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
So I've decided to opt for the NewSouth ashtray conversion for the gauges I have..

The next thing I want to ask is, in terms of mounting and brackets also adaptors for temp sender, can anyone enlighten me to as what I need... Because the internet has many suggestions

Reply #11

Will there be enough room for the depth of the bottom guage?

Monkey, you can slways chop the bottom out of the cubby so the guage will fit. Likewise the sides if necessary. You wont see it when you've fitted your flash new guage panel.

I remember making one out of sheet ali and covering it with black PVC....Those were the days. How tech has moved on.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #12
That's a good shout, when I get around to it, I'll get the gauges out the radio hole and eye it up.
I had thought about just making a spacer to move it forward a touch.

Yes, it's much easier to make things nowadays, 3D printing really has changed the game in rapid prototyping.
And now it's cheaper, more and more people are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #13
So I finally tracked one down.. I have 3 gauges now so want to go for the ashtay route.. have tracked down a metal one with powder coated finish from USA.
Have had to ship to a contact in USA who will then forward to me.
Any one looking check out GAK Motorsports