Skip to main content
Topic: Wanted - a Jetta (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted - a Jetta

Hi,

I'm interested in getting my hands on a Jetta. Perhaps I should see someone for my addictions but I will sell one of the corrados at some point (probs the 16v).

I'd like the Jetta to be in nice condition: MOT with a decent history of being looked after, useable, not too much rust. Something I can use and enjoy. I'm not worried about mileage. Would love a GTI but a TX would do me nicely too. I would consider anything that's nice. I'm in contact with the chap listing the red one on car and classic but what else is out there?

Thanks!
Matt

Re: Wanted - a Jetta

Reply #1
Ignore I've bought something different now.

Reply #2
Oooooo mystery car!! What have you bought?

Reply #3
Still from the VW stable, it's a mk3 Golf GTI 16v with 78k on it.

It's a little project: rust hole on one of the drain hole in rear footwell, current non running but is coughing to start. Suspect Coil Pack. Fuel pump is priming. Needs a good wash! Last owner had it since 2001.

No rust on the body, sills are ok but will want attention one day I suspect

Reply #4
Oh lovely - I've a real soft spot for the MK3. Never owned a MK3 GTI, but a Driver and really loved that car - especially the seats.

With ABF getting "R-A-R-E"  actually these days- where did you source this? Won't become a parts bin will it?!

Edit - Happy now forum software - I've put it in quotes!!

Nope.....

Reply #5
Nooo won't be broken -  this car is too good! I hadn't realised how " r a r e "   they were - it was on ebay but did a deal outside. Cost the same as my mk2 but my mk2 is more a project and has 100k more miles on it. This car had a long term owner for most of it's life, mk2 similar but was 1 owner.

Clean almost everywhere - one of the rubber plugs in the rear floor have rotted through. Bottoms of front arches are no good too. Fuel door area is fine - just dirty.

Reply #6
Great project Matt! It's a shame they got a bad rep, but I think they'll have their day! I still like the cabrio mk3 too and they're DIRT cheap. There's something for me about the MK3 that really appeals - still a classic but has all the mod-cons you need. Far too many got boy-raced up but I think they've all moved onto the MK4 and 5 now. I'd love a nice dragon green 16v in standard guise - possibly just lowered a little. Perfect!

Reply #7
You guys having problem with the word rare;)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8
We have two Mk3 Golf's now. One was my upgrade from a Mk2. First one is the wife's 1.8 Auto Estate with around 78K from new. Registered in 1999 and very basic spec. Does what it says on the tin. Second is my 1.4 with around 143K. Had been in a garage for three years and is in excellent condition. Both have had servicing and minor niggles sorted out along with all new front suspension on both. Both are great cars. Pull the wheel arch plastics on the front and clean out all the much at the back of the wing. Ours were both in good contrition with no rot. So we've just added a 1.3 Mk2 Golf to the fleet. Time to get stuck in.... again.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #9
I like them. I also like the more basic ones for their simplicity - a breath of fresh air compared to what's available on the modern car market.

Mine needs the bottom of the wings repairing (i have the panels and the welder but working on the Corrado at the mo). I will take of the trims and sill covers. From what I can see the sills seem good except on the front section where bad jacking as taken the paint off. I hope i can get away with grind back, treat and re-shape. If not I'll patch a repair (just done that on the Corrado).