Skip to main content
Topic: Modern car stereos - touchscreen? (Read 1005 times) previous topic - next topic

Modern car stereos - touchscreen?

Not mk2 related, so putting this in general chat and not under the ICE section, but wondering who knows their way around modern car audio?

I'm looking to fit something modern in my Daughters 2008 Fiesta. She's all about Spotify and the Aux connection. But even after changing the socket and finding a replacement 'factory fit' higher spec Sony stereo, the Aux connection, via cable is a still bit flakey and unreliable.

So I'm thinking Bluetooth is the answer. It's her 18th in a couple of months so got time to get it right and willing to spend a few quid, probably £300-400 all in.

It's a double DIN so will need a facia with fitting kit, ISO plug adapters and the adapter to include the steering column controls from what I can see that could be around £100 of the budget.

She's got an iPhone so looking at the Apple Car play, I noted that some say 'Made for Iphone' but that isn't Car play. My understanding of Car play is you get Siri voice controls and all of the functionality of the phone along with access to the Apps (although maybe not all) - am I right?

Music form the phone is the main thing, Navigation would be a nice to have but my understanding is with Apple Car play that would use Apps form the phone anyway. She dosen't need CDs, and dosen't listed to the Radio although that comes with most I don;t think I'll need to worry about having to fit a DAB antenna. 

So far my search has brought this up as a strong contender:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax1005db

Does anyone have anything to add?

Re: Modern car stereos - touchscreen?

Reply #1
Car play is fantastic, I fitted a Pioneer head unit to my mk4 and it was brilliant.
It's this one...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-SPH-DA230DAB/dp/B075FKSK43

I've still got it in the box it came in if you want to go 2nd hand, but understand if you want new for a present.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
I use an Alexa Auto kit through Aux, great bit of kit, BT hands free, can control phone, maps etc by voice, make calls, spotify etc, might be an option.

Reply #3
Quick update for anyone interested, I stuck with the Sony I'd been looking at as it seemed to be decent spec but one of the cheapest carplay models from a big brand (I ignored all the Chinese eBay stuff). I found it cheapest with these guys http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ which was handy as they also did the bits and bobs I needed to go with it.

I dropped them an email and they helped out guide me to the correct facia, fitting kits and stalk control module. And I've placed the order this morning, because that model seems to be low stock everywhere, possible discontinued (old stock?) so I didn't want to lose out.

Reply #4
Car play is fantastic, I fitted a Pioneer head unit to my mk4 and it was brilliant.
It's this one...

I've still got it in the box it came in if you want to go 2nd hand, but understand if you want new for a present.

Thanks for the offer, but as an 18th birthday pressie, we're going new. I looked up yours and it's probably better spec than what I've gone for though. out of interest what would you want for it. You never know if the Fiesta fitting goes well I might update the mk5 for Carole.

Reply #5
I'll make sure it's in A1 condition still, but I'd be after £250.
I've had it in the box for nearly a year, I can't justify sticking a double din in either of the mk2s and don't have anything else it'll fit!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Well I expect after I fit this in Layla's and she sees it she'll say can I have on in the mk5.
It's after I got the mk4 with heated seats, air con and cruise control she asked I she could have a new car instead of the e30  :o

which was a shame as the e30 was such a cool car and I'd just finished the resto

Reply #7
Well I expect after I fit this in Layla's and she sees it she'll say can I have on in the mk5.
It's after I got the mk4 with heated seats, air con and cruise control she asked I she could have a new car instead of the e30  :o

which was a shame as the e30 was such a cool car and I'd just finished the resto
do like my heated seats in mk 4, have picked up some heated Polo recaros that need bit of fab for the mk2

Reply #8

Your E30 was awesome!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
It's this one...

I was looking at this for my R32.. If you've still got it in a couple months then I might take it off your hands!

Reply #10
Thought I'd give you all an update to this:

I went with the Sony I mentioned above. I bought from Car Audio Direct.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

I was very impressed with the service, first they helped me out via email and sent me all the info I needed to make sure I got all the correct bits for fitting, which there's no way I would have pieced it together on my own.

While fitting I had to call them, because one of the leads was marked as for Pioneer, I wanted to check before I opened it in case it had to go back. The friendly guy on the end of the phone confirmed it was the correct part for Sony too and apologised as they normally add a note explaining this (maybe they did and I missed it).

I have one very happy daughter.

P.S. the default background screen was blue, she changed it to pink, but you can have any colour including green. It's a single din body with a double din screen so I'm pretty sure it would be an excellent unit to fit in a Mk2 centre console with a bit of cutting.

Reply #11
I used to buy all my stereo kit from them back in the day.
They were doing 24 delivery back before it was cool!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12

Back in the day ...... was before the internet.

I bought my first 'pull out' Kenwood from Western Car Radio in Bristol, an actual shop - who remembers those?

Reply #13

Back in the day ...... was before the internet.

I bought my first 'pull out' Kenwood from Western Car Radio in Bristol, an actual shop - who remembers those?

I used to go to Uplands on Gloucester road.
Ended up coming third in an SPL competition once, didn't even know it was on, just saw loads of people as I was driving by and pulled in!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v