Skip to main content
Topic: Rear brake line removal (Read 481 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear brake line removal

Are there any tips on removing the lines on the subframe to completely strip? Struggling to even get the spanner in

Re: Rear brake line removal

Reply #1
The plastic clips are most likely to be brittle, so go careful if planning in reusing.

Have you got a brake line spanner

Reply #2
I have just bought some actually, didn’t realise before.
Where the rear line is attached on the rear axle there still isn’t much room to undo the bolts, iOS there a way of removing all in one and then undoing? Just seems inaccessible

Reply #3
I assume that you're removing the rear axle. I cut the flexi brake pipes on mine and then removed the hard brake lines when it was off.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #4
I assume you mean where the brake pipes go over the top of the rear axle and loop down to meet the flexi ?
I think the best way is to chop the brake line nex to th union and use a socket (10mm) I think. Therefore there is less chance of rounding the union. Hope all goes well.
I only read about doing it that way after rounding the union flats with a standard 10mm spanner.
If you take your old pipe to a local car spares shop they can make replacements up quite cheaply.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
Think brake unions are 11mm, but with out a brake line spanner it is easy to round the union.