Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Pressures at Head.. 8v PB (Read 1124 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Pressures at Head.. 8v PB

Afternoon all,

I have installed VDO Oil pressure gauges in the 8v PB. The sender is sitting on the side of the head

When driving last night, the gauge read at around 3-5 when cold and a steady 1 when above 2k.. i have been reading around for Pressures on these 8v PB engines and would love some clarity?

when accelerating and cruising at around 3-4k rpm I was still sitting at 1 bar pressure..
idling though was around 0.5 Bar?

what should I be expecting?

Re: Oil Pressures at Head.. 8v PB

Reply #1
You've got the pressure sender in the wrong place really.
You should try and get it on the oil filter housing, as that is the closest you'll get to the pump.

When it is mounted there, you should see around a bar at idle, once fully warmed up.
So with it mounted in the head, I'd say you weren't too far wrong, seeing the head is quote a way away from the pump.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Is it a 10 bar sender and your gauge is to 5 Bar?

Reply #3
Is it a 10 bar sender and your gauge is to 5 Bar?

yep... i had a worry about that when it came about.. i wondered if my sender needed to be 5 bar and maybe more 'precise' but i also have limited knowledge of all this so who knows

Reply #4
If it's possible, go back to your FAE sender, it was 5 Bar and fit it at the point above the oil filter to see what readings you get.

Different engines I know, but to give you an idea - The 205 has a factory 5 Bar gauge and is on its original sender so presumably 5 Bar compatible and giving as accurate a reading as factory gauges will allow.

At idle on cold start up it will be showing around the 4.5 Bar mark before eventually dropping to around 1.5 Bar when fully warm.

If you look at the specs for senders on the VDO webhop site it'll show the measurement ranges for 5 and 10 Bar senders which'll give you an idea of the differences.

If I've understood correctly they work by using resistance, measured in Ohms.

Most VDO gauges seem to work between 10 Ohms and 184 Ohms... if you're using a non-VDO sender with a VDO gauge you'll have to ensure it works between this same range.

Below is listed the 5 Bar senders ohms readings beside the 10 Bars - it'll show how using the wrong sender / gauge combination can affect the gauges accuracy.

Oil pressure is 0.0 Bar

11 + 10

Oil pressure is 1.0 Bar

47 + 31

Oil pressure is 2.0 Bar

82 + 52

Oil pressure is 3.0 Bar

117 + 71

Oil pressure is 4.0 Bar

151 + 90

Oil pressure is 5.0 Bar

184 + 107

The 10 Bar sender will continue in 1 Bar increments to its max as follows -

6 Bar 124
7 Bar 140
8 Bar 156
9 Bar 163
10 Bar 184

If your engines true oil pressure is 3 Bar your 10 Bar sender is giving the gauge a measurement of  71 ohms instead of the 117 ohms a 5 Bar sender would be so it'll be under reading by about 40%.

Reply #5
If it's possible, go back to your FAE sender, it was 5 Bar and fit it at the point above the oil filter to see what readings you get.

Different engines I know, but to give you an idea - The 205 has a factory 5 Bar gauge and is on its original sender so presumably 5 Bar compatible and giving as accurate a reading as factory gauges will allow.

At idle on cold start up it will be showing around the 4.5 Bar mark before eventually dropping to around 1.5 Bar when fully warm.

If you look at the specs for senders on the VDO webhop site it'll show the measurement ranges for 5 and 10 Bar senders which'll give you an idea of the differences.

If I've understood correctly they work by using resistance, measured in Ohms.

Most VDO gauges seem to work between 10 Ohms and 184 Ohms... if you're using a non-VDO sender with a VDO gauge you'll have to ensure it works between this same range.

Below is listed the 5 Bar senders ohms readings beside the 10 Bars - it'll show how using the wrong sender / gauge combination can affect the gauges accuracy.

Oil pressure is 0.0 Bar

11 + 10

Oil pressure is 1.0 Bar

47 + 31

Oil pressure is 2.0 Bar

82 + 52

Oil pressure is 3.0 Bar

117 + 71

Oil pressure is 4.0 Bar

151 + 90

Oil pressure is 5.0 Bar

184 + 107

The 10 Bar sender will continue in 1 Bar increments to its max as follows -

6 Bar 124
7 Bar 140
8 Bar 156
9 Bar 163
10 Bar 184

If your engines true oil pressure is 3 Bar your 10 Bar sender is giving the gauge a measurement of  71 ohms instead of the 117 ohms a 5 Bar sender would be so it'll be under reading by about 40%.

you're an absolute gent. this is detailed and tbh i didnt expect anything less haha!
you're improving my knowledge singlehandedly!

great shout on the FAE sender, ill pop it in here this afternoon and give the car a whirl to see what its showing!

Reply #6
well the FAE sender works a treat - the difference between the 0-5 and 0-10 bar sender is massive for accuracy of reading.

I now have a redundant 0-10 Bar VDO Sender.. anyone want one haha

Reply #7
You've got the pressure sender in the wrong place really.
You should try and get it on the oil filter housing, as that is the closest you'll get to the pump.

When it is mounted there, you should see around a bar at idle, once fully warmed up.
So with it mounted in the head, I'd say you weren't too far wrong, seeing the head is quote a way away from the pump.

I was planning on fitting mine in that location.

What are the stock senders? I though oil temp on cooler housing, and low pressure on side of head. Or is it the other way round.

I was thinking I wouldn't bother with a 2nd oil temp (not to start with anyway) so lose the MFA readout but that way I won't need a T bar.