Skip to main content
Topic: Wanted: Carburettor for 1.6 1990 Driver  (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted: Carburettor for 1.6 1990 Driver

Looking for a carb to fit my 1990 MK2 1.6 Golf Driver.

Re: Wanted: Carburettor for 1.6 1990 Driver

Reply #1
Are you looking for a Pierburg or Weber and is it manual or automatic?
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #2
It's a manual and I suspect that I'm looking for a Pierburg - whatever the standard fit carb on the vehicle is. This isn't quite a 'barn find', but it was SORNed and put in the shed by my father-in-law about 3 years ago. Before it went away, it was apparently nearly running, having benn diagnosed as requiring a new carburettor base plate.

How could I confirm what model of carb is on the vehicle?

Reply #3
Having done a little more research on this topic, it seems to me that it might be a little more prudent to get myself one of the PIERBURG 2E2 & 2E3 CARBURETTOR SERVICE/GASKET/REPAIR KITs and see if that helps before attmepting to find a whole new carburettor! At £40 or so, that doesn't seem like too much of a gamble.

Reply #4
Update: it's a Pierburg 2E.

Reply #5
Don't forget to get a new carb base gasket.  Before you get the rebuild kit, unless you definately need to, it might pay to fit the carb and see how it runs first.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #6
It doesn't really run - a few backfires and generally not a happy vehicle! Just checked, the kit I'm looking at definitely has a base gasket included.