Skip to main content
Topic: 1.8 16V GTI "PL "engine- no fuel on fuel injectors and engine harness  (Read 657 times) previous topic - next topic

1.8 16V GTI "PL "engine- no fuel on fuel injectors and engine harness

Hi everyone, new member here, please don't hit me too hard.

Backround: Bought a heavily crashed 1987 MK2 16V GTI, swapped everything to a good body. The car has been standing for a few years, I'm struggling to get it running.

Issues are:
1. Car starts for a few seconds but then dies. No fuel flow from the fuel injectors. Tried to lift the diafragma in the airbox manually, nothing. Is there a electric cut off valve on the K-Jetronic system or what stops the fuel flow? Fuel pressure is there and pressure accumulator seems to be working and I get fuel on the fifth injector but nothing on the main injectors.

2. I have some loose wires on the left side of the engine, because some of them were broken due to crash and some had been taken apart before me. I don't have correct wiring diagram, really struggling to find wiring diagram for PL code engine. I have Haynes manual but it covers KR engine and there are differencies. Can anyone please share a wiring diagram for PL engined car? Specifically I need wiring for engine (all these sensors on the LH side of engine). It's a 1987 year car.

What is that thing on the left side of the airbox? Two wire connector there.

What is that thing on the right side of the airbox? Three wire connector.

What is that sensor and where should it be connected?

What sensors are these and where should they be connected to? Two at the top and two at the bottom.

Thank you in advance for your help.  :)

Re: 1.8 16V GTI "PL "engine- no fuel on fuel injectors and engine harness

Reply #1
When you say fuel pressure is there, have you actually tested the pressure on a gauge, or you just know fuel is getting through. The correct pressure is critical to mechanical continuous injection system.

here's a load of info about k-jet and what to check and how to diagnose. https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=114.0

I'm afraid I have no specific knowledge of PL engine, other than it's a non-uk car with a catalytic converter. The KR doesn't have those sensors but they will be to do with emissions etc. The mechanical element should be no different.

You need to check both fuel pumps are working effectively and you'll need a pressure tester to check you have the correct  fuel pressure reaching the fuel distribution head, the thing on top the air box with the pipes on it.

Re: 1.8 16V GTI "PL "engine- no fuel on fuel injectors and engine harness

Reply #2
The sensor on the back of the head is oil temperature.
The two sensors on the side of the head are both coolant temperature.

Does the fuel pin thats inside the metering head move both ways with ease, your have to unbolt the metering head from the air box.

To reiterate the last post fuel pressure is key, the injectors open at approximately 3bar of pressure.