Skip to main content
Topic: Sam's 88' Marine Blue 1600 CL - 47k - 2 owners from new! (Read 3887 times) previous topic - next topic

Sam's 88' Marine Blue 1600 CL - 47k - 2 owners from new!

Hey everyone!

If you have been following my E30 thread recently you will know that I had sold the car due to my impending open-heart surgery and putting the money towards a house purchase. Being honest, I was getting a bit bored without the E30 to tinker by the next day so started to annoy Mr & Mrs Mac, Ben Straker and the Wagars with anything I found online for sale. I had a bee in my bonnet about wanting a 3 door GTI although realistically this was out of my budget. I started enquiring about many cars which after some digging had issues with paint, bad corrosion or in some cases bad sellers.

I ended up missing out on a pretty perfect late spec Tornado Red 8v big bumper which sold at £6200 on eBay within 12 hours which I was fairly disappointed about. I was looking at weird array of cars from Ford Model A’s, BMW E28’s and E30’s to old Rovers etc. So, there I was being sensible (ish) looking through Facebook marketplace when early Sunday morning which had only been listed for about 12 hours, I came across this -1988 Marine Blue CL - 47k approx. on the clock and 2 previous owners:

I sent a message on the sale ad - and got a reply that it was pending viewing and I was third in the queue. Thinking at this point that I had lost the car, my search continued on - I came across a tired grey late 16v 5 door - arranged the viewing for 3pm Monday afternoon. About 12pm, I get a text from the initial seller saying his viewing cancelled and if I was still interested in viewing the car and wanted to arrange for coincidently at 3pm.  The 16v was in Kent and the CL in Suffolk, being slap bang in the middle in Essex - I had to make a choice of fate.

I went with my gut to pick a 'cleaner base’ to view the CL with Mr Mac and set off to Ipswich to which I was greeted with this:

So got to view the car – found loads of little issues immediately which need rectifying but no massive issue. However, was faced with this upon arrival and looking round which seller did not mention. It was a bit of a big bubble and soft which I mentioned to which he pushed, and it went through. So, this is a main area that I will look to fix.

Happily, James Cope has offered to help me out with this for free (what a guy!) if I cannot sort it locally! Another issue was this weld patch that hasn’t been painted – so I’ll get this sorted the same time as the rear:

Overall, bar the major obvious details which need to be rectified this is a really honest solid car. The seller mentioned that the GTI grill was equipped from factory although the bill of sale does not confirm this so it will be replaced for a genuine CL grill.

The history is immense and has every MOT printout, every bit of servicing from new – original brochure and a little piece of history:

Replacement badges straight from VW addressed to the original owner in 1988, shame that they’re incorrect but it’s a nice touch:

Looking at the whole picture, I thought it is unlikely I’ll come across a car like this again so thought the little bits that need doing are worth the struggle. The previous owner was very sad to see it go, and I told her I’d look after it and not slam it on cheap coilovers.

Anyway, got it back to Ali’s to show Jo and made it home without any trouble – I think the next mechanical jobs are to sort a slight bind on the rear driver’s drum, need to change and engine mount and the linkage bushes could do with a refresh. New clutch is perfect however and it is really peppy with the new weber on! 

Just like to say thanks to everyone who helped out - Mr & Mrs Mac, Ben, Wagars and the many other people I annoyed!

First task up! Tackle those damn stickers!

Re: Sam's 88' Marine Blue 1600 CL - 47k - 2 owners from new!

Reply #1
That's a lovely looking mk2 you've got yourself there!
Welcome to the low mileage mk2 club - albeit, yours is a bit nicer than ours!

Reply #2
Yes Sam!

First task up! Tackle those damn stickers!

Yes, yes, yes!!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
After seeing your tease post on Facebook I wondered when you'd update us properly here. Have to say I was very surprised to see a non 3dr GTI but I get why. Is this 1.6 or 1.8?

I'm fairly certain I have a CE1 rev counter going spare. :-D

Reply #4
Thanks everyone!

After seeing your tease post on Facebook I wondered when you'd update us properly here. Have to say I was very surprised to see a non 3dr GTI but I get why. Is this 1.6 or 1.8?

I'm fairly certain I have a CE1 rev counter going spare. :-D

Yeah I was surprised too - only a little 1600 with a Weber! Ah gotcha, thanks for the offer! I’ll shoot you a message!

Reply #5
Spent the first few days getting rid of the stickers - what a task that was!

Before:

“Brain” was so stubbon, trying to take over the Mk2:

Another stubbon one:

These were stained on the glass:

After a lot of time with sticky stuff desolver, a scraper and some glass cleaner:

Much better!

Many jobs left to do - interior is proper dirty inside so needs a real good clean!

That's it for now!

Reply #6
I think you find that was Brain who was the sticker and wanted to take over the world, the same as they'd try and do every night, Pinky.  ;)

Reply #8
My pleasure. It looked too good to not view and even though it had those blemishes that weren't mentioned in the advert, it is still a very nice Mk2 and a bit of a gem being so low mileage. I'm sure by the time you've put the Sam Stirrup touch on it it'll be a minter.

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #9
Another little update:

Me and Jasmine went for a little 450 mile approx. roadtrip today - picked up some goodies!

Apprently came from a 20k mile Mk2 - we thought it was mint but unforunatley one clip broken, so will see how it fits etc and go from there!

I had a Facebook post up on the MK2OC when someone stated that I had a Jetta front bumper. I didn't actually know there was a difference but looking at a side by side comparison it's easy to see where the bottom swage line is different. Using Makers Mk2 picture for reference:

Jetta:

Golf:

My car:

So therefore, now knowing this info - we bought this home too:

Genuine MK2 Golf double chrome trim bumper with genuine irons - not perfect but good condition.

We managed to get it all in the back of Jasmine's little Seat Mii which was interesting but thankfully all fitted snug!

Will get it all on in due course with updates to follow!

Reply #10
I think when you've got the old bumper off you need to do side by side pics of that and the new one as I still don't see the difference and can't find anything on parts diagrams to suggest a difference between Golf and Jetta. Very intrigued!

Looking forward to see the progress, will you be at the National meet this year?

Reply #11
I think when you've got the old bumper off you need to do side by side pics of that and the new one as I still don't see the difference and can't find anything on parts diagrams to suggest a difference between Golf and Jetta. Very intrigued!

Glad you said that, I've just spent the last 10 mins staring at it, trying to see the difference!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
I think this picture should explain better - although in the last pictures, check where the bottom chrome trim matches to registration letters:

I got some time today to degrease the bumper and apply some G-techniq C4:

Ordered a Bosch Angle Grinder, wire brush attachment, some rust reformer and satin black paint. I know some tinwork in they bay needs doing however still debating on the OG bumper irons.

Winston helping me work out a list of what to paint and order:

That's it for today!

Reply #13
Oh Yeah, I can see what you mean now!

Ordered a Bosch Angle Grinder, wire brush attachment, some rust reformer and satin black paint. I know some tinwork in they bay needs doing however still debating on the OG bumper irons.

Please tell me you have ordered PPE too!
Go with a full face mask if you can, when new those wire brushes throw the bristles out all over the place until they bed in.
They always get stuck in my clothes etc. Trust me, you don't want that getting fired at your face, I've literally had to pull one out of my cheek before!

BTW, love the cat!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #14
I think this picture should explain better - although in the last pictures, check where the bottom chrome trim matches to registration letters:

Well I never! thanks for sharing that makes a lot more sense now.