Skip to main content
Topic: GTI 8v Kjet fuel pump problem (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

GTI 8v Kjet fuel pump problem

hi,
i have just bought a GTI, someone has messed around with the fuel pump and will not run, anyone got any suggestions on what alternatives i can use? and do i need to have an accumulator? i have looked online and for the whole unit with housing is pricey, can i put an inline fuel pump in and get away with no accumulator?
look forwards to hearing,
thanks.

Re: GTI 8v Kjet fuel pump problem

Reply #1
K-jet needs a high pressure pump, it also needs the accumulator so the quick answer is no, there isn't a direct swap.

That said I'm sure some people have managed to use high pressure racing pumps and aftermarket swirlpot etc. but end of the day I don't think that's a cheaper option.

And don't waste you money on non-genuine pumps. If it's not a Bosch it's not worth squat, I bought a cheapo and failed after a few months, electrical connections inside came apart, got a replacement free of charge so that wasn't an issue. But it wouldn't run on that one. When I hooked it up to pressure tester it was only putting out about 3.5 bar.

Look here for troubleshooting guide and general advice: https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=114.0

Reply #2
Thanks for your response,

What does the accumulator actually do or achieve that a swirl pot wouldn’t? Does anyone know or has anyone actually got a 1.5litre swirlpot with a Bosch pump inside?

Reply #3
the accumulator stops pulsations from the pump, evens the flow, and maintains pressure in the injection system so you can drive off after been stood.   i do a replacement accumulator , thats running on my mk1 golf and also on my 16v golf... so works.  fuel pump, are bit hit and miss like eddy says, ive had no issue with cheapo but that said the mot guy bust 1  on my sportline... you have to be gentle with connections even on bosch...  the plastic housing , acumulator and pump would set you back about 700 new.  but you can reduce this by using matthew palmer and brendon moss on facebook. they do 2nd hand parts