Skip to main content
Topic: Starter replacement or not? (Read 743 times) previous topic - next topic

Starter replacement or not?

A well rehearsed topic I’m sure. My Golf GTi 8 V (84k) exhibiting all signs of heat soak around failing to start when engine hot. Always starts when cold etc.
To date, have tried being more robust with ignition key and have fitted a hard start kit.
Thinking solenoid gremlins as starter now 30 years old? However, now find that VW manufactured a dedicated starter motor heat shield ( no longer available) for my car, at least for N.American market. My car does not currently have one to block heat from radiator.
So friends, do I splash out for a new starter or pursue less expensive heat soak theory?
As ever, any advices gratefully received.

Re: Starter replacement or not?

Reply #1
NEW starter mate.. ive just this week changed 1 on my mk1 cabby.. cost me 89£ for remanufactured  Bosch unit. I'm guessing you're on Autobox,  since you mention heat soaks. try some solder matt and wire in place. the heat soak is available in european market , but very pricey then shipping would make silly money.  which for a bit of shaped alloy/steel i would consider too much.

Reply #3
Cheers Ken.
Not autobox, but on balance feel purchase of suitable replacement starter is best route. Will see what VW Heritage have in stock etc.
Hopefully later units will have addressed radiated heat issues at manufacture?

Reply #5
I got my starter from Mark Carter, here: https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/

I've found that something are just worth swapping out for sign of trouble.
5 yrs ive had a noisy starter lol.. only took off because i was trying to find out why a its eating batteries . done alternator, starter, battery , binned amp and boom box

Reply #6
Cheers Ken.
Not autobox, but on balance feel purchase of suitable replacement starter is best route. Will see what VW Heritage have in stock etc.
Hopefully later units will have addressed radiated heat issues at manufacture? ive got a new part still here in my shed.. only used to a caddy in workshop

Reply #7
If you aren't bothered about OEM then I can recommend this

Starter

They arrive next day and look like new. Best ring them to check the exact one since some have more than 2 connectors. Rubjonny on Clubgti states it is a MK3 starter 'cos it has the extra bolt hole for the front mount.
One big advantage is that it does away with the brass bush in the bellhousing which wears and needs replacing.
A great price too.
Make sure you prop the engine up before you remove the old one otherwise you'll spend hours trying to line everything back up.

Good luck.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel