Skip to main content
Topic: RHD A/C GTI (Read 1641 times) previous topic - next topic

RHD A/C GTI

Hi,
I've an '89 8v 5 door GTI with options; I'm wondering if it's the only RHD GTI with factory A/C on the road?
I've tried to find another for a while and failed but would be happy to know someone else in the UK.
There's quite a few with factory A/C in the US but tend to be diesels for some reason.

Also has full grey leather, all 4 electric windows, electric heated mirrors & light washer jets from the factory.
I have CE1 factory seat heating to fit and factory cruise control will be installed shortly.

Also got a RHD 5 door '89 syncro in storage, I actually bought the GTI to get the syncro back on the road but the GTI was too good to break so I have a full syncro system with Rallye discs at the rear (along with a Rallye cable change gearbox, transfer box and driveshafts) but can't decide whether to cut the GTI and install the Rallye syncro or not.

Chris T.

Re: RHD A/C GTI

Reply #1
Hi and welcome, seems like you have some tough decisions ahead.

I'm not aware of any others with factory A/C, I know there are a few variations of dealer fit aftermarket additions. Does it also have a sunroof? Most non-UK cars with A/C don't have a sunroof. But as the UK editions all had a sunroof as standard I'm interested to know.

Worth noting South African cars are RHD and many have A/C, there's also a few other odd variations on the SA cars.

Reply #2
Hi welcome  Sounds like you have an unusual car that's to good to break.
scs

Reply #3
Hi Eddy and SCS, thanks for the replies.
Yes, it has a standard manual sunroof.
The longer time goes on the  "uncommon" r I think it is.
It was purchased new by Mars Confectionary UK as a Company car for one of the Directors. I've been in touch with her (works for Govt. now) and she didn't want a big BMW or Merc she wanted a smaller Golf but because of her considerable allowance she maxed out the options.
The A/C is currently depressured, I have fitted a new compressor and I have a new drier and expansion valve and hi/lo pressure switches, just hope the condenser and evaporator are ok and get it filled with drop in R12 replacement, there's a place in Leeds who do it (generally on Ferraris, Mercs and Porsches of '89 vintage).
Looking forward to having cruise working, got most of it (the hard bits), just a couple of bits to source.

Chris.

Reply #4
Ha, the auto-substitute for 'pretty common actually' is not applicable in this case..

We've also got a '91 mk1 Rivage cab; my boy's first car.

Reply #6
Weirdly it's not in the boot but is in the service book..
I did the exercise a while ago and, options as shown on sticker:
1AF   Power brake
1C1   antifreeze up to -25 degree celsius tolerance up to -30 degree C
1G6   space-saving spare wheel
1H1   load-sensitive proportioning valve
1MG   leather trimmed sports steering wheel with reduced diameter for power steering (hollow rim)
2JD   sports bumpers
3AV   outer right rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated
3BF   outer left rear view mirror: convex, powered, heated
3D1   center console
3KZ   left and right sports front seat type 2
3L2   manual height adjustment for right frontseat
3U1   foldable trunk cover
3YB   "   door pockets, front"
8D4   With 4 Loudspeakers (Passive)
X2B   Equipment options subset for Great Britain
C0V   steel wheels 6J x 15 offset 45 (five-hole)
G0C   5-speed manual transmission
H0G   Tires 185/60 R14 H
J0G   Battery 265 A (54 Ah)
K8G   Hatchback
L0R   Right-hand drive
M3X   4-cylinder SI engine 1.8 l/82 kW DIGIFANT base engine is T3E
U0L   Instrument cluster with tachometer, clock, and mph speedometer
V0A   Tires without specification of tire brand
0A2   four doors
0NH   nameplate set "GTI"

It doesn't show anything else so I don't know how the A/C was specified at build..
It also doesn't detail the leather (just 'sports front seats') or the headlight washers (just 'sports bumpers').
It's a small bumper with the chin spoiler (currently removed).

Thanks, Chris.

Reply #8
2JD   sports bumpers
3AV   outer right rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated
3BF   outer left rear view mirror: convex, powered, heated
3KZ   left and right sports front seat type 2
C0V   steel wheels 6J x 15 offset 45 (five-hole)
J0G   Battery 265 A (54 Ah)
Are all missing from your list, I put this together a couple of years ago mostly from here:
https://vwmk2.fandom.com/wiki/Options_Code_List
I think so can't vouch for the accuracy.

5J1 is rear spoiler
8K2 is daytime driving light mode for urban driving

That elusive 4A8 option......

Reply #9
Oh another Helios Blue!

Reply #13
You may like this then https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=845.0
Beautiful build, so much detail! The single thing that made me shudder was the coilovers, why would you do that?? I've never driven or been in a mk2 on coilovers that rode. Even very very expensive ones. My GTI and the boy's Rivage are on OE spec Bilsteins with (40mm I think) lowered Eibach springs, the Rivage has had every bush done and it rides literally like a new one but with a better stance. Not taking it away from him though such a great build. I'm still in Engineering build mode, adding stuff and fixing stuff then when it's all done it will come to pieces and go in for bodywork (it's looking tired and tatty at the mo but mechanicals are priority for me. Has to be daily driver reliable). I have a set of 'pretty common actually' 305mm Ibiza Cupra R Brembos which are a bolt on fit and a new 22.2mm master cylinder (which is what the Seat ran) with new load balancer and so much other shizz to go on. Looove that paint, can't wait to get mine done, where did he source it from in the end?

Reply #14
Welcome along, seems like a proper rare beast you have there!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v