Skip to main content
Topic: How do you cope? (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you cope?

Morning all,

It's been a while since I've been on. I've tried to avoid the forum to be honest as I sold my 16v a couple of years ago (for the measely sum of £1800 would you believe and it was a struggle to sell it!).

How do you lot cope with not having one?! The price of another is too much for me now, at least for the next few years anyway.

I would love another one, no doubt about that but the thought of what that car *could* be worth now, is horrible. But I think if I could go back, I wouldn't of sold it.

Anyway, bit of nostalgia over, just wondered what's everyone's coping mechanisms on the loss of a loved one lol

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: How do you cope?

Reply #1
Probably not the best person about coping with Mk2 loss.
Since 98 I've owned 11 and currently have 2!

Kept selling them, thinking 'I'll move on to a different car' and then buy another one within 3 weeks!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Yeah, I know how that feels. I've been fortunate enough to own 3 in the last 8-9 years or so.

I got spoilt with mod cons and air con and the like, so I "upgraded" to a MK5 Variant, for tip runs and family things, which ain't been bad at all if I'm honest.

But getting in a MK2 of a morning and waking your neighbours up and smiling all the way to work, is just fantastic. Biggest regret if my life selling that car.

Reply #3
Buy another one.  I upgraded to a MK3 Golf. We did end up with another Mk2 With a broken engine and gearbox which we're slowly fixing. It's a 1.3 so cheap car tax as well so it's justifiable. Go on do it.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #4
This is why I don't sell them. I would regret it too much. I know i could sell all of them and probably get a Porsche or something but I love old VWs for the simplicity and they were reasonable to pick up price wise so it meant running multiple versions was doable.