Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 to Mk3 Caliper Conversion (Read 490 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 to Mk3 Caliper Conversion

Evening all,

I'm looking to replace the Mk2 rear calipers on my 16v GTI with late Mk3 ones as I believe this is an easy upgrade to help prevent the caliper from sticking. Can someone clarify what the difference is please, I've read that it is to do with the spring position changing from 'external to 'internal' but all the Mk2 and Mk3 ones on the internet look the same, with an external handbrake cable spring, and I don't want to get the wrong ones.

Thanks

Re: Mk2 to Mk3 Caliper Conversion

Reply #1
I remember doing this on my 16v back in the 90s on the rear it was a straight swap from what I remember.
scs

Reply #2
Yep the Mk3 callipers mount straight to the Mk2 carriers but I'm unclear what the difference is between the Mk2 & Mk3 calipers.

Reply #3
I've got MK3 rear calipers on my 91 8v. A direct swap for Original MK2.
The only bit that is exposed is the actuator arm for the handbrake cable. Mine were getting a bit "sticky" but I think that was because the rubber cable covers had come off the flange hence crud had got down between the cable and the cover.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
Thanks for that AndyBa,

Do yours look like the ones in the pictures (providing they have attached OK)?

[attachment deleted by admin due to attachment age]

Reply #5
Yea, improved handbrake mech on mk3. Mk4 is the same but alloy body. Preferred by some. Mk4 needs a different hose connector and conversion hoses are costly and alloy combination with steel is worse in my eyes, it still corrodes, just alloy furs up rather than rusts and alloy next to steel ‘welds’ itself together through chemical reaction so mk3 is the best choice if that’s what you want.

Reply #6
I can't see the pic.I've just done a trawl of t'Internet and the key term is "late MK3" since the early ones are the same.
Best pic at a quick glance are these at the back of this pic:
MK3 Rear Calipers

I bought mine second hand off a Club GTI member. With hindsight I should have had them reconditioned before fitting them.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel