Skip to main content
Topic: E10 fuel phase in... (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

E10 fuel phase in...

You've likely seen the latest headlines about the imminent phase in of E10 fuel.

I've been half keeping an eye on this for a couple of years and unfortunately there's been lots of opinion / info. / disinfo. bandied about that's just serving to complicate any attempt to understand the impact this'll have on MK2 ownership.

Might be worth while trying to decipher it all now?

Re: E10 fuel phase in...

Reply #2
Be interesting to see if E5, in whatever form it's supplied in the future also gets phased out.

Recently watched an article that claims Porsche have already developed a fuel, that if its effect is calculated from production to emmission has the equivalent or even less enviromental impact than if comparable electricity is created / used... rather than banning liquid fuels and replacing them, that may be the way things ultimately go?

Reply #3
From https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Volkswagen

Volkswagen
With the exception to those models listed below, which used the first generation FSI engines, E10 is cleared for use in all Volkswagen petrol engine vehicles.

Bora - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI Saloon and Estate made from October 2001 to September 2005
Golf mark 4 - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from November 2001 to May 2004
Golf mark 4 Estate - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from October 2001 to October 2006
Golf mark 5 - 1.4 litre (66kW) FSI made from November 2003 to November 2004
Golf mark 5 - 1.6 litre (85kw) FSI made from August 2003 to May 2004
Golf mark 5 2.0 litre (110 kW) FSI made from January 2004 to May 2004
Lupo – 1.4 litre (77kW) FSI made from August 200 to November 2003
Polo – 1.4 litre (63kW) FSI made from February 2002 to June 2006
Touran – 1.6 litre (85kW) FSI made from November 2002 to May 2004
Touran – 2.0 litre (110kW) FSI made from October 2003 to May 2004
NOTE: If your vehicle is listed above you should continue to use E5 petrol. If you are unsure please contact your local VW dealer.

Reply #4
In very general terms it seems you can probably get an older engine to run adequately on E10, it's the 'side effects' that are potentially going to cause the issues.

Certain materials used in hoses / pipes, brazed internal parts amongst a few others are all mentioned as apparently being suseptible to premature deterioration because of the increase in ethanol.

May mean a complete check of anything that forms part of your fuelling system to ensure it's up to a standard that can withstand the increase?  

Reply #5
I saw this, it’s clearly not the case. And does not state at which year the list starts. I think the thing people are getting confused with is between will it run…. which will normally be yes. And will it be harmful… which will also be yes for an older vehicle. The later the gov don’t care about as they think it will encourage people to buy new cars.

The same as when the encouraged everyone to buy diesel

Reply #6
I’ve also seen reports on lower mpg. Reducing further the price gap between super and standard unleaded. Whilst standard is cheaper per litre if you go further on the same amount of super it equals out more.

I already see better mpg from super

Reply #7
Slight resurrection... went to my local BP garage today to fill the lawnmower jerrycans and they've had a corporate brand refresh - with new or revamped pumps etc.

From what I understand NI is moving to E10 by early 2022, the rest of the UK are next month.

Despite that the standard unleaded pump is now clearly marked E10, but confusingly in brackets states 95 RON, plus big stickers warning you to ensure your vehicle is compatible.

There's only one other petrol choice and that's their 'Ultimate' version... it's also clearly marked but as 97 RON (miniumum is quoted, so presumably it can be more for whatever reason).

Talk about making things more complicated than they have to be.

Just to follow on from Eddypeck, 'Super Unleaded' hasn't been available in NI for a long time, the best you could get was 95 RON.

A few beardy internet posts that some of the more obscure independants, in one or two of their border garages stocked it, but mainly just speculation.

Maybe E10 coming in over here has been a blessing in disguise and it's prompted one of the big outfits to have to start stocking 97 RON again?

Reply #8
RON is the octane level, E is the amount of Biofuel (Ethanol) so the E and the RON values are unrelated.

Technically you can still have high octane and a larger percentage of Ethanol, but for now there's an agreement not to keep Super at E5 - I've seen chatter this will be phased out as early as 2023.

Super is normally 98 or 99 RON, but 97 is acceptable and it can vary from delivery and/or supplier so a minimum 97 is guaranteed but could normally be 98+.

Likewise the E is 'up to' so E10 could actually be 6,7,8% Ethanol etc. All of the pumps I've seen lately over here are already stickered as E10 for normal unleaded. But with the Up To clause they can do that and still use up the E5 stocks.

Now, here's the thing. I'm seeing more and more people on various chats, forums, socials etc talking about filtering off the Ethanol with water. Mostly on classic motorbike related chat as I guess it's going to be easier to do this in small volumes.

I can see this being something that will soon be regulated out and made illegal with random checks similar to the red diesel dip tests... somehow?

But in the meantime. Here's the theory as I understand it.

Take 10 litres of E10.
There will be 1 litre worth of pure Ethanol in it.
Put in a barrel that (with some space) add 4 litres of water.
Shake it up a bit and let it settle.
Leave it to separate.
The ethanol will be fully absorbed into the water so you will have a barrel with 9 litres unleaded ethanol free petrol sitting on top of 5 litres of ethanol rich water.
The fuel can be syphoned off the top.

I can't say I can be bothered to go through all this effort, but it's certainly an interesting concept, and as I said, gathering support and momentum. Plenty of YouTube videos on how too.