Skip to main content
Topic: Rear engine mount... (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear engine mount...

Changing this (and the others) as the engines out... for all the cost of them it'd be foolish not to.

The new one (Meyle) is on the left in both images.

Camera angle is skewing things slightly, but they are level in reality... I put them back to back to exactly match their metal brackets.

The center of the guide on the Meyle is noticibly lower than the original, the ruler is across what should be the centers to show how much it's out.

Would years of compression have caused this and the Meyle will bring things back to how they should be?

I'm not fully convinced yet, the spacing and profile of the rubber part of the Meyle does differ from the original even though they appear the same at first glance, easier for me to see in the flesh than you will in an image.

The original doesn't seem to have deteriorated / collapsed either, but then I'm not seeing it under load.

Re: Rear engine mount...

Reply #1
Hello L90E,
I have replaced the rear engine mount twice in the past.
In each case, the position of the hole before replacement and the position of the hole of the new part were significantly different.
It seems that the shape of the rubber is deformed due to the weight for a long time.

Reply #2
I have not changed an engine mount but I would expect an old mount to be deformed due to acceleration and braking forces
scs

Reply #3
Double checked in case there was different types / specs. of mount and I'd the incorrect 'new' one but on the info. I've access to seems not.

Have to assume then that it's normal for it to deform to that extent through use, it's the only reasonable explaination, but still quite surprising by just how much... surely such a deviation must effect the geometry / postioning of the engine, specially if you take it in combination with the same wear on the other two mounts?

Reinforces the need to check / change your mounts, my car has only 75K on it.

Reply #4
When I replaced the rear engine mount twice in the past, I also replaced the other two mounts.
I remember that they weren't as deformed as the rear engine mounts.

Reply #5
Was looking at the existing front mount last night and it's a 'Febi'... the new one is also a Meyle and there's no difference whatsoever in height etc.

Having said that, up to now everything I've found has been original VW, so unless they used 'Febi', I have to assume it's been changed at some point.

If that's the case it's maybe newer than I think and hasn't had a chance to sink yet.

The mount at the gearbox side is still the original VW and ever so slightly lower than a new Meyle but by so little as to probably not matter.

They must be prone to deteriorating at different rates, they're probably under varying loads, susceptible to driving styles etc.

Sorry... probably as boring as **** to most, but stuff like this pulls me in - should've been an engineer!