Skip to main content
Topic: Not so obvious service items... (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic

Not so obvious service items...

Some of you'll recall I'd an episode trying to remove the distributor and that it turned out to be the rubber like seal that was the problem, having disolved and become glued in.

Anyhow, resolved to make it a service item in the future - they're still available and inexpensive plus easy to change.

Another I'll likely do, maybe not everytime but often enough will be taking the sump off for a complete drain / clean / gasket.

Took the 205's off recently to check the oil pump as part of it's post-winter service and as a consequence had to do the above.

Was interesting to see what was in that last 1/2 litre or so of oil, plus I've noticed when checking the dip stick, even some 500+ miles later the oils still a clear golden colour.

Before it would have become quite dark by now... the residue that's usually left when its just a filter change must have more of an impact on the new stuff that you'd think.

Again, not difficult and gaskets are cheap.

So, over an above the routine things... any other jobs that deserve more regular attention?

Re: Not so obvious service items...

Reply #1
If you have the sump off a new oil pump isn't a bad shout as they are not expensive and easy to replace.

Reply #2
Yup, they're not expensive and 2 x bolts from recollection, most difficult bit's swapping over the surge barrier without breaking it, if the new one comes without its own - non-big name brands for as little as £20.00, nearly disposible at that price!

Reply #3
Think the B&B aka Tierod one comes with the baffles.

Reply #4
I did it the wrong way about and bought a new Febi before I took off the original VW.

In my defence I think I'd read somewhere it's recommended they be changed at 75K'ish... can't remember now, I'm sure someone'll put up the correct interval.

Whatever it was, it roughly coincided with my cars mileage, plus you obviously can never be sure of it's previous history if you haven't owned it from new.

The Febi is spot-on, nothing wrong with it and I'd have no problem putting it in but sitting beside the original you can tell it's just not the same quality.

Took VW's apart (there's a good write up on the MK1OC site about checking tolerences with a feeler gauge) and it was like new inside, no wear whatsover - likely keep it and the Febi will do as a spare.

Also discovered mine had the larger MK3 surge barrier - probably another sign it was a late, model change over production car.

That's the Febi with the originals barrier put on -

Reply #5
Yeah I have seen 2 types of baffle also, there is also the metal bronze coloured one that I think fits the diesel.

Reply #6
Not specifically service items but a couple of parts that are just as well to replace if you’re ever in that area.

Water pump, if you have to do the thermostat. I’ve done this job twice now and both times bolts have sheared off on the pump. A new pump is about £30 so to save wasting an afternoon drilling studs and tap and die nonsense just have a new pump ready.

And track rod ends. The nut always spins to I usually just sacrifice them and cut through the rod and replace if I ever need to disconnect the hubs.

Reply #9
Something else occurred to me while I was trying to figure out what that thing was in 'test your knowledge', regarding the sump, you can get magnetic sump plugs that pick up any fine particles, maybe an option on service items.

Reply #10
Despite being inside the gearbox, from what I can see this is probably a very straight forward change with the engine etc in-situ, plus the parts aren't overly expensive provided you shop around.

There's already plenty of write ups about the external linkage and the benefits brought by adding the MK3 counter weight and/or renewing the various bushes - it got me thinking if you're going to do all of that then why not renew the complete set up, including the release bearing / rod and not just a part of it.

Bill (T2000) put up a link to this site recently and it's a real goldmine - BrokeVW

Full of nuggets and interesting stuff for the MK2 buff... thoroughly recommend taking the time to go through it all even you're not planning any work.

You may have seen the same release bearing featured on the 'Test your knowledge' thread - it's only after reading BrokeVW that I realised the rod (and potentially the finger that actuates it) need attention too as they wear.

This is a new release bearing -

And this is my 75000 mile one -

The new one cost £6 -7 (Sach)

It's accessed by prising off the green cap on the end of the gearbox, visible through the passenger side wheel arch - the lid's a one time use item but again new replacements are as cheap as £3-5 if you look about.

One of those nuggets from BrokeVW is that the green paint coating the lid acts as the sealant when it's fitted, preventing oil leaks - must be a special paint, hence the colour and why it's single use!

The release bearing just slides out, as does the rod after you create the slack to allow the finger to move out of the way.

BrokeVW warns the tapered end of the rod (opposite end to that which fits into the release bearing) can wear down and sure enough mines an exact match of the image posted of a worn out one -

BrokeVW -

Mine (remember 75K) -

This is an example of a new one -

I'll bet this is something that gets overlooked quite often and depending on the extent of the wear could have a detrimental effect on the gear change - worth considering doing.

Reply #11
Oooops... Was linking to example images on BrokeVW but seems something is preventing them from showing... Makes the above read a bit disjointed, sorry!

You'll see a worn rod pictured by following the link to the site, it's under the 'Teardown' section.

Reply #12
Heritage were doing Topran ones of these for a little over £6.00, others are charging much more.

The ends are tempered, hence the discolouration.

You can clearly see the wear on the tip, the other end that inserts into the bearing sits in an indentation, it hasn't worn at all.