Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel cap not fitting (Read 689 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel cap not fitting

Hi Folks,
Bit of a wird one,this!
Bought a GTi recently,with twelve months MOT.
Came with a push-fit fuel filler cap (which should be an MOT failure!)
Ordered a replacement,but it doesn't screw-up flush enough in order to shut the fuel flap.
Any ideas?

Re: Fuel cap not fitting

Reply #1
Can you post up a photo of what you have, so we can have a look?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Unfortunately the tank neck mount is likely to have rusted and the neck has dropped hence sticking out not allowing it to close.
I suspect the push fit was shallower and allowed door to shut and hid the real problem.
I suspect you need to remove what's left and weld this in place: https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191803483-fuel-filler-neck-support-bracket-repair-panel.html.

Be warned that this may be the tip of the iceberg and rush may have spread further up in the arch.

Hope this helps.

Jordan

Reply #3
Is there any way to check that might be the case from under the vehicle?
It's literally about 1-2mm from shutting.

Reply #4
And can someone please advise how you post pictures.Thanks.

Reply #5
Is there any way to check that might be the case from under the vehicle?
It's literally about 1-2mm from shutting.
If you look up into arch then you should be able to see the bracket near top of neck I think.
Depending how bad bolts may be loose/missing.
With tank removed it will likely look like the below

The cap normally sit well inside the door so that much sticking out probably means that it is no longer attached at top.

Reply #6
As Kartman says the filler neck bracket has likely rotted causing the filler neck to push forward. I had this on mine.

Also remove the rear turret carpet to check the condition of the turret from inside. It's a bit of a pain to do as the carpet is tucked under the parcel shelf support which in turn is covered with the C pillar cover so you have to remove quite a few bits to get to it.

It's worth knowing if this hasn't started...

Reply #7
Thanks for the advice,folks!
Going forward,is it a big job to repair? I can't do the work myself,so have to pay someone to do it!
Cheers!

Reply #8
all depends how bad it is, in Kartmans picture above of the red one that dosen't look too bad, so could be fixed. In my pic above of the white one the rot had spread to the seat belt mount and turret so I had the whole lot done. It cost about £300 I think, that was a good few years back and since then I've bought a welder and am teaching myself to avoid those sort of costs again. Not sure I'm ready to take on that level just yet though.

But with the carpet off inside and the fuel tank dropped (that's quite easy to do) you'll be able to have a good look and get some quotes.

Good luck