Skip to main content
Topic: Instrument cluster trouble! (Read 2041 times) previous topic - next topic

Instrument cluster trouble!

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a mk2 1.8 8v 1990 which I bought as a project knowing there was small issues.
The speedo, Rev Counter, and Temp Gauge is not working.

I have traced the coil wires (red & black) back to the fuse box where a lot of wires have been cut I have read online about the pinning etc.
I have got the Rev counter to work but now the oil pressure light is flashing with the annoying buzzer noise. I know I don't have a pressure problem so thinking I have pulled the wire to the wrong place on the pin (PIN12).

On top of this the speedo is not working correctly, I have changed the cable (twice) and have also changed the worm gear in gear box as mine was not the best. Now my clocks are working but are flickering and making a clicking noise. I cut the end off the old cable which was snapped and put into a drill and the clock still flickers.

Can someone tell me the actual pinning sequence for the instrument cluster (number to colour and where they go) and also if the speedo issue is common? if so has anyone got a speedo for sale I have spare for the whole cluster but no spare speedo.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Instrument cluster trouble!

Reply #1
Point to note, being a 1990 your car could be cross over from CE1 to CE2 (CE=Central Electrics)

If your hazard switch is a rocker switch on the dash panel you have CE1 if the hazard switch is a push button on top of the steering column you have CE2.

The instrument cluster is different across these. 2 plugs for CE 1 and 1 plug for CE2, another way to tell is the temp warning LED is in the gauge on CE1, but is in the central LED row on CE2.

There's also 2 brands, VDO and Motometer, so ideally you want to replacement Speedo to match your existing cluster. They are interchangeable but dosen't look right when mix and match.

I do have a couple of old CE1 clusters and a selection of old parts including loose Speedos, I'm afraid I don't have any CE2 spares if that's what you have.

With regards to the cable, the fit on the back of the speedo is very tight and sometimes it doesn't always click into place so would give the issue you report. But if you've run it on a drill then I guess the issue is within the speedo itself.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick response.
Min looks to be the ce2, hazzard below the sluster on a push button and single plug.
I managed to get a spare set of clocks as I thought they were instantly the problem ( for a bargain £20) but the clip on for the Speedo had snapped which looks like the only part I need haha.

I will find a new Speedo and put that in the old cluster hopefully this will fix the problem.

Any idea on the oil pressure warding etc?
I have had to run a new wire to the fuse board for the rev counter to work as I only have two wires on the coil from purchase?
Cheers

Reply #4
the filter housing one is the oil temp for the mfa.
scs

Reply #5
I will get one ordered up this week and swap it out hoping to get the car ready for Bristol, been a while since I was at a meet haha.

Reply #7
slight hi jack of your post my digital display in the instrument cluster does not work. Do you want to part with the digital display
scs

Reply #8
slight hi jack of your post my digital display in the instrument cluster does not work. Do you want to part with the digital display
scs

I'll check the condition of what I have but I think I may have already parted the good one out.

Reply #9
Thanks for that
scs

Reply #11
Thanks for that I believe they are for ce1 electrics only I need ce2.
scs

Reply #12
Thanks for that I believe they are for ce1 electrics only I need ce2.
scs

I don't think so as I am sure they have been fitted to a CE1 and CE2 car by a couple of guys I know but will ask to check.

Reply #13
Thankyou for that that could be really handy.
scs

Reply #14
Thankyou for that that could be really handy.
scs

Spoke to my mate who fitted one to my old CE1 and he confirmed his mate also fitted the same one to a big bumper CE2, hope it helps.