Skip to main content
Topic: On a roll (Read 440 times) previous topic - next topic

On a roll

Next on ‘to do list’: replace anti-roll bar rubbers.
All evidence indicates my GTi (1989) has original items fitted, so long overdue replacement.
$64,000 question is “will I have to remove the front 4 subframe bolts to facilitate this activity”?
Any advices gratefully received.

Re: On a roll

Reply #1
I have recently worked on my anti roll bar and though I refitted the original rubbers I was able to refit them by lubricating them and sliding them in by just removing the two back bolts and undoing the two subframe bolts.
scs

Reply #2
Thanks scs.
Have heard stories of sub frame bolts shearing due to corrosion/old age on regular basis?
Not unduly worried about ‘having a go myself’ (Wife is a risk assessor by employment though) but you only live once, but can imagine the grief in worse case scenario etc. Care to give odds on my 32 year old bolts behaving.

Reply #3
you might get away with just the 2 smaller bolts and leave the sub frame mount bolts tight.
scs

Reply #4
Same, I've done ARB bushes before with the subframe in place by just dropping the bracket as mentioned above, I'm sure I didn't beed to touch the main sub frame bolt. It's on my list of things to do with the current Golf, parts are on their way from Autodoc, so a few more weeks I should be ready for it.