Skip to main content
Topic: It’s gone!!!  (Read 572 times) previous topic - next topic

It’s gone!!!

Had a black cardboard cover over the top of the rad , it was pretty good not cracked or flaking … it’s gone !! Probably abducted by aliens, question is does anyone have one or have a suggestion for a replacement … needs to be mat black ,3-4mm , fairly waterproof material and obviously good up to rad temperature ….

The top of the rad

Re: It’s gone!!!

Reply #1
I know exactly the type of material you mean. There's genuine VW ones (and some very good copies) available for the MK1, may even be a straight fit or at least can be adapted?

Reply #2
You've got me doubting myself... Was looking on 7Zap for a part number and without going through every year / version I'm not seeing there being a radiator top card on a MK2... it's the MK1 one that's maybe throwing me as I can see it clearly in my mind.

Does looks like there should be one, maybe someone who's car isn't in boxes could double check?

Reply #5
I'm probably mis-remembering things again, but if not there was a guy on the MK1 OC (Shuggy) who was making very good quality reproductions of these before VW messed it up for him and decided to remanufacture them.

He also has a small site if you need to get in touch - https://vwgolf1.com though he's based in Southern Ireland which makes postage expensive to the UK.

I'm wondering, if he had the dimensions could he make a MK2 version - even one didn't exist originally on all models probably be easy enough for him to do, just flat card after all?

Reply #6
I’ve just ordered a Mk1 radiator cap/cover and using a bit of ‘Blue Peter’ nouse cut it to fit. It really is a detail tidy and from a practical angle it now covers the exposed radiator fins at the top from being damaged by stray tools and heavy handed ness in this area. It even has a VW part reference embossed on right hand side!