Skip to main content
Topic: Front dashboard finisher (s) (Read 754 times) previous topic - next topic

Front dashboard finisher (s)

Another senior moment?
Noticed that at leading edge of GTi dashboard (below front screen) #7 oblong recesses approximately  1/2” in length. Are these linked to ‘de-mist’ function or should there be 7 plugs or some kind of screw/clip arrangement?
I must get out more, but still trying to bottom out if my car is missing an upper radiator cover!

Re: Front dashboard finisher (s)

Reply #1
Can't confirm for a fact they're to do with the de-misting, though I thought that too, but can say I've the same 7 x slots and no plugs / grommets etc.

Starting to think there isn't a panel for the radiator top - never gave it much thought 'till Damien.wrl mentioned it and I got myself confused with the MK1's cover... be keen to know myself.

Looked for a part number with no success and hunted for some images on the inter-web of engine bays, but nothing yet... doesn't mean anything though!

Reply #2
Mr Google threw up a number of ‘GTI’ (MK2) engine bay images where it clearly showed some form of top radiator cover, possibly a felt type material, to protect the radiator matrix on the top right hand side which is not covered by the front cross member. Perhaps these were North American spec images?

I believe the Golf MK1’s had such an item?

Reply #3
Yeah those slots do look like they should have bungs in but they don't, every golf I've had has been the same.

Reply #4
Yes MK1's had them... if you've still got or find more images of one on a MK2 post up a link.

Short of finding a piccie someone intentionally took of one, I'm struggling to find a good enough engine bay image to say for certain.

Reply #5
See Damien.wrl contribution today @ ‘members cars’ ref’ Vinnie 35k miles’ 07.57 hours.
Amongst several pictures of white GTi two give clear impression of some sort of ‘shroud’ over top of radiator??
As OEM for this car is vouched for it would appear such an item exists even if a period after-market item.

Reply #6
I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

The MK1 has a thick piece of black textured card that slips into a recess between the top of the fan cowling and the radiator top.

When it's present you can't see the fins of the radiator.

I think Damien.wrl believes he's missing such a cover because the radiator fins are visble.

I'm just not sure the MK2 had a similar cover to the one on the MK1, and as a result alls well with his car - I'm not seeing a cover in any of the pics in the 'Vinnie' thread, though I think I can see the exposed fins in a couple of them, but can obviously stand to be corrected.

Reply #7
I didn’t have a card, then Hankmanus (some will remember him) provided me with one ….
Have a rubber trim on the edge of the slam panel as well

Reply #8
Do you think it was VW or maybe something he produced / sourced elsewhere?

Reply #9
Not sure it was if iirc a black cardboard material (that might have been on my MK1 though) , he said it was good for me as I had the rubber strip, not much use for the strip otherwise …you can see the trim on the edge of the slam panel above the rad core