Skip to main content
Topic: Horn Intermittent (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

Horn Intermittent

Hi all - I have a 1990 Golf CL (.?) Automatic which runs great, but there is an intermittent problem with the horn or klaxon. I can be idle after a good run and the horn just won't work, then if I pull away on the move and it works perfectly.

I suspect it might be the relay, I had a similar starting problem which was remidied by changing the relay. However checking my relays against the schematic I can't work out if I have a relay in position 11 or not. I have attached a photo, there is an L shaped copper piece in the socket which I am unsure about. It is position 11,to the right of the relay with the white wire.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

J.

Re: Horn Intermittent

Reply #2
Could just be a bit of corrosion on the terminals on the horn connection.

I had to clean mine up during an MOT once, worked when did my pre checks and then didn't during MOT test. Quick clean of terminals and all worked.

Re: Horn Intermittent

Reply #3
As above, check the horn itself.

not the same I know but I had a fun issue with my Mk4 Golf, the Horn is positioned directly below the headlight washer jet which meant water would drip onto the horn connection and when pressed the horn would sound but then the fuse would immediately blow because of the short the water would cause.  I basically had a single use horn so I'd replace the fuse before each MOT. On one occasion for whatever reason the tester pressed it twice, it sounded the first time, then not again so I got a fail so decided after 4 years I should fi it properly. Horn from a scrap yard and bent the bracket so it was out the way of the excess water.