Skip to main content
Topic: Low light (Read 533 times) previous topic - next topic

Low light

Is it me?
Just run car in dark for first time since purchase and not impressed by instrument lighting in dash. Despite cranking adjustable knurled dial up to max’ the resultant white light illumination is to my mind ‘half-hearted’ albeit it does the important job of making my speedometer legible. Similarly, my electric window switches are faintly illuminated.
Could I have wrong bulbs fitted or is this degree of illumination the norm for 32 year old VW? I would also liked to have either red or green lighting to compliment the GTi theme. Are there any mods out there to meet this perceived problem?
As ever, any advices gratefully received.

Re: Low light

Reply #1
There are a few guides around on replacing the bulbs with LEDs which can end up being very bright I understand. I'm still running standard set up.

Reply #2
I don't have electric windows in my current golf but remember the previous one the window switches not being bright. The dash was fine. The reason yours appears dull could be that all the bulbs are not working.
scs

Reply #3
Thanks both, will explore bulb status further. Mind you, got to question whether hour plus to remove dash to access the three bulbs behind instrument binnacle is worth the aggro?

Reply #5
Update on low dash lighting phenomenon.
Removed headlight switch and lo and behold it was incorrect (11 pin) connection. Now fitted ‘correct’ 10 pin item and improved illumination of dash in evidence.
Have also fitted Italian leather steering wheel (350 mm) principally to make access to car easier for my poor old bones, I believe standard wheel is 375? It looks the canines appendage if I do say myself and also lends a period upgrade effect. Of course will retain original steering wheel. This is the third departure from stock, as car came with lowered springs and 195 width tyres/BBS RA’s.

Reply #6
Excellent, glad it was an easy fix. At the time I didn't know the switch was the reason, but it was only because I noticed I had the wrong switch fitted in mine that I got a replacement. On fitting it I was pleasantly surprised to see it also resolved my dismal dash display.

Looks like I accidentally solved a problem and now you've confirmed it! One to remember for the next person caught out by a dim display.