Skip to main content
Topic: Mk3 donor car (Read 2465 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mk3 donor car

Reply #30
So the mk3 rear beams don't fit mk2? As far as changing the hubs to disc I thought it was just a matter of changing the stub axles

Reply #31
So the mk3 rear beams don't fit mk2? As far as changing the hubs to disc I thought it was just a matter of changing the stub axles
I think the MK3 rear beam is wider.
You also need the brake bias valve which is on the rear beam. This is suppose to adjust how much pressure is applied to rear discs (fluid through the valve) depending on weight of rear ( passengers / heavy boot load) to stop the locking up and spinning car

Reply #32
Bit confused because earlier in this thread I'm sure eddy peck said rear beam is straight swap.. also saw this https://youtu.be/gzGP6LaCUqc he swaps the rear drums for discs just by changing stub axle..

Reply #33
What spec is the mk3 you are looking at?
What specific items are you hoping to get?

I assume you want some things for yourself and are looking to see what is worth taking off to sell on?

Many parts are usable either as direct (upgrade) replacement or as modification.

You already have a 16v so you'll already have 256 discs and separate calliper/carrier.
But as an upgrade to any Mk2 below 16v spec the front hubs, callipers and carriers etc will be an upgrade. Depending on the spec of the Mk3 they may be 4 or 5 stud and could be 280 discs, equivalent to G60 set up so may still be an improvement.

(I may be interested in a front brake set up)

Rear callipers are an improvement over mk2 ones, the mk3 handbrake mech is less prone to sticking, but does still stick if not maintained.

Subframe, with wishbones etc and rear beam can all be used but is a wider track. I assume the steering rack can also be used.

The fusebox and loom will be CE2, so everything electrical would be compatible with a late spec mk2, yours should be CE1 as an 87/88 car, so not that useful unless you're looking to rewire the whole car, but useful to someone so keep it to sell on.

The 99 relay can be used for programable intermittent wipers, even on a CE1 fusebox.

Engine, any mk3 engine can be used, but depending on spec it may not be an upgrade for you.
Simple things like the rocker cover of a basic 8v will still look nicer on an 8v mk2.

Various sensors can be used - I have a mk3 temp sender fitted in my 8v.

Alternator, PAS pump and associated brackets can all be used, the PAS pipes are useful and mk2 ones are NLA.

Pulleys can be used to upgrade to serpentine belts rather than v belts.

The weighted shift rod is a good update to the gear change linkage as it makes the gear change feel more positive.

I belive parts of the lower light assembly (the bank of 3 in the bumper) can be used in a mk2 big bumper to upgrade fog lights. Or the indicators can be made to fit as running lights.

If you don't already have a mk3 in mind, it's also worth checking out the mk4 cabriolet, or mk3.5 as it's known as it's not a real mk4 it's a mk3 with a facelift and still has many of the valuable mk3 parts, but newer so potentially in better condition.

says it here..?

Reply #34
I could have been wrong, no personal experience of this but I was under the impression that it is a straight swap and people do it to go wide track, especially to match the rear with front when going wide track there.

A quick Google confirms...

Rear mk3 glx beam 12mm wider on each side of a mk2.
This will make the front track and rear the same.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/mk3-rear-beam-in-mk2.5035746/

Reply #35
I could have been wrong, no personal experience of this but I was under the impression that it is a straight swap and people do it to go wide track, especially to match the rear with front when going wide track there.

A quick Google confirms...

Rear mk3 glx beam 12mm wider on each side of a mk2.
This will make the front track and rear the same.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/mk3-rear-beam-in-mk2.5035746/

Thanks for clearing that up!