Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 17423 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #195
Had it all apart already in anticipation and it wasn't too bad a job, even the original Valeo matrix was in good shape.

It was the foam that'd given up the go... have totally removed every piece that hadn't already crumbled onto the floor from behind the dash to be replaced with new.

Generic 2mm closed cell, self adhesive foam. Previously bought a large sheet when doing the 205 and it was so invaluable used it all up, so ordered some more for the MK2.

New matrix came with it's own and the bulkhead / scuttle intake gasket's have yet to arrive.

Initially did the extra piece half way across as per the original but can't think why VW did it like that, wound up extending it the whole way.

Reply #196
That's it for today -

Reply #197
... and washed my socks as well.

Reply #198
Don't forget to inspect the dash....
Ensure the leading edge which goes under the windscreen doesn't have any gaps otherwise demisting won't be great.
Give it a good shake and hoover inside to rid it of all the bits of foam.
Make sure the aperture which lines-up with the heater box is rigid. If neccessary reinforce with modelling plastic card on the longer sides.
Dilute some PVA and coat the 'cardboard' aperture to revive rigidity.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #199
Good advice and thankfully the dash seems 100%, but still felt bad taking it off as I know they're quite flimsy.

Having said that if you ever see inside the dash of a 205 the MK2's looks like it was made in a ship yard by comparison.

Reply #200
....so that is where I went wrong with mine....
I tried to fit them without cutting a slit in them hoping there would be enough give in the foam I bought  :))
Obviously VW glued the 2 halves together either side of the one-piece foam. I gues a dribble of glue would stop them getting displaced.

Reply #201
It's the adhesive foam sheet without the backing taken off, save for about 1/2 a cm either side of the cut.

Reply #202
Loose fitting the monkey puzzle tree that is the heater pipes before getting ready to put the dash back on.

For the benfit of Dene and others thinking of removing theirs that's the 2 x holes / nuts that hold the dash from the engine bay side, way up under the scuttle... hopefully save you some head scratching.

Reply #203
Looking good.
White socks....so 1980's  ;D

Reply #204
And the dash sound proofing's parted down the middle, though the water jackets aren't double breasted. 

Reply #205
Again... my memory for the useless has kicked in and I recall watching / reading something about cheap v's expensive cars.

They took a Citroen AX along with a then current Lexus apart and one of the 'highlights' was that Citroen painted their seat frames while Lexus left them bare metal. Thinking was even they start to show rust, who'll see it.

Seeing the metal work behind the MK2 dash must've triggered some of the synapses I have left.

Reply #206
Push is on to get more and more back on... weathers already on the turn and want to get the car as near complete (less engine) as possible before it gets too much colder.

Dash was a learning curve, though having done it once (hopefully never to have to do it again) it would be much easier for a second time knowing what I do now.

Re-foamed the looms... while the original stuff was a crumbly, sticky mess it was also there for a reason and might help with keeping the rattles down.

Whoever may be having to do it all over again in another 30+ years might not agree though!

There's probably a few tips to pass on if like me it's your first removal and refit - main one I'd say, because it ate up more time than proportionate for their small size was the fitting screws and sorting out what went where.

VW in their wisdon seem to have used a whole collection of similar looking, but slightly different screws. Some'll fit in the wrong place, others won't, but get one wrong and that means another one elsewhere'll be wrong too.

Do that and by the time you get to the end of the job you'll have some fittings that you'll struggle with and being brittle plastic / weak compressed card there's the risk of damaging something needlessly - a pain, but mark your fittings as you remove them, so much easier than having to sift through them later!

Wrongly assumed the spare dash bulbs I already have would fit the MK2, not so but for the sake of waiting a day or two until the correct ones arrive, fitting the binnacle is on hold.

The routeing for my own sub-loom (the VDO's etc.) was also tided up now that access was available and it went back in a treat.

My patented bulkhead grommet is available at all good motorfactors.

Another tip which has occurred to me while writing are the air vents either side / closest to the doors. Didn't take a photo, would've explained it straight away, but imagine the plastic tubes that feed them.

They have 3 x prongs with little fold overs at their ends, the idea is that they extend out into the apperture and as the vent is slid in they're captured between it and the dash itself. Should hold them in place and avoid the pipework parting company from the vent piece and flapping about, blowing air around inside the dash.

The center twin vent simply pushes into the corresponding pipework, it's further inside, no prongs etc.

Seats have been gathering dust waiting to go in (and getting in everyones way), hopefully when the dash is finished that'll happen, ditto the door cards and thenl be the interior almost 100% done - famous last words.

Reply #207
VW's original double sided tape for the door membranes had dried up, making it very easy to take them off without damage.

New stuff may make that more difficult to do again but unavoidable, hence the precaution of a template for future use if needed.

The additional 'Waxoyl' that was sprayed in and around the door cavity a while back has now turned semi solid, not pretty but you can never have too much protection.

More evidence of production dates - 8th July (or 7th August if you're being Continental?) 1991.

Door locks / handles were very dry and clunky from a decade of being in a box with no use - satisfying 30 minute job to fix and along with the new pins now closes like a Merc. plus resurrected the 'Armor' plates.

Reply #208
VW used glue originally I tried fitting an original one years ago it was a nightmare. Ended up taking it to VW to fit. Double sided tape is much easier.
scs

Reply #209
Definitely tape, things must've moved on by end of production.