Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20628 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #45
Not the biggest of updates, but one thing that needed fixing was the sunroof deflector lifter arm. The head was completely rusted away on the right hand side and the arm was 'cleverly' connected to the deflector with a web of cable ties.

Sorry for the poor pic

I was lucky enough to find a stainless steel one months back in a scrap yard, but only the left hand side (not the side I really needed), so since then I've been on the look out for a single right hand side one for not too much money.

After drawing a blank with Matt Palmer of Mk2Spares (he said he'd sort me out but never got back to me) I'd been watching on eBay and finally found one that was still expansive as buy now or offer and I gave an offer within what I was willing to pay. It arrived Christmas eve.

Still battling the water leak, I've had to re-visit the door membrane as I did that in a bit of a rush. If not that then I'm going to have to consider taking the screen out and potentially removing the wing to check the bottom of the A-pillar.

Reply #46
Haven't got around to checking my own, so not familiar yet with whatever set-up VW used on the MK2, however after battling with the 205's I now know their solution inside out... I'd imagine there may be similarities - how many ways can there be to provide sunroof drainage!

Plastic pipes might be causing a problem at that corner, either at the tray itself or further down?

One of the Pugs was twisted badly, seems to have been from new too plus a previous owner had also been tinkering meaning the front ones weren't exiting where they should have been.

Luckily the metal work was all solid but you could see (only when the head lining was off) just how they could easily fail over time... not designed to last for 30+ years.

Reply #47
Haven't spent enough time looking at the leak into the drivers footwell on mine however the soundproofing covering the firewalll is saturated and the indicators have stopped working! Must make an effort to fix. I'm hoping its an obvious issue in the scuttle area.
I haven't checked the sunroof drains for a while but not sure how water would get into the cabin since I thought the drain tubes exit further down and outside of the inner wing. I currently have the A pillar covers off so hopefully I can check for obvious leaks down the A pillar.
I really don't want to remove the dash again its just too miserable out there!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #48
I had a very similar experience with Matt Palmer too, twice.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that picture really does look like it's coming from the windscreen. :(
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #49
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that picture really does look like it's coming from the windscreen. :(

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it must be too. Just not really the weather to be dealing with it outside. Been thinking about getting a cover and just leaving it till spring.
And this isn't an aged rust stain, I have seen drips of fresh water here so if defo where it's coming in. :-(

Reply #50
both palmer and Moss have been shocking at getting back to me, but they are the only guys breaking vast amounts of cars from what i understand

Reply #51
I redid drivers door membrane, dried out car with dehumidifier for a couple of days. Checked this morning and car is still bone dry. We’ve had a bit of rain past couple days.

Forecast is rain all week so I’ll know for certain by next weekend.

As for the windscreen, I ran a bead of black window sealeant under the seal. After chatting with a mate that worked for dovercourt vw in the 90s he said that’s what they always did as secondary measure whenever refitting windscreens. And I trust his experience 100%.

So while there may be a small issue under the seal this might get me through till better weather.

If however it’s wet again next weekend I’ll get a cover and leave it till I can get the screen out at a later date.

Reply #52
Hope that's fixed it Tim.
Had a go with mine today. Removed the scuttle cover, then the ECU to check the state of the LHD fresh air cover and everything looked fine. Used a paint brush to loosen debris and gave it a hoover followed by a coating of Bilt Hambler clear wax. Gave the windscreen a dowsing of water an nowt was coming through into the cabin.
Poked a bike brake csble down the sunroof drain and it seemed OK execpt for a "stop" circa the bottom of tha A pillar. Pushed some spare aerial cable down and managed to get the cable past the "gunk". Rinsed with some water from the watrring can and that seems to be passing through fine. Noted minor traces of water by the front inner door seal so not sure where that is coming from!
Bought myself a £20 Beldray 700w fan heater from Argos to dry the interior out. Seems to be doing the biz!

Reply #53
Another EddyPeck life hack being repeated....

and some sticking down of lifting edges:

Thankfully the card is not too bad, so still has some decent shape along the bottom edge so once it has a few coats on varnish on it it should be pretty solid.

In other news, the leak is ongoing - not that I've put much time into it - so 100% has to be under the windscreen seal. I've got some time booked off in a few weeks so hoping I can get to the bottom of it and put the car back together.

Reply #54
...you wouldn't get your mits on that many clothes pegs for long if it was summer....!

Sorry to hear you still have the leak. So do I.
The annoying thing with mine is that it isn't obvious. Had a hose pipe running water on the car roof but can't find an obvious leak. I do know that the horizontal underside of the bulkhead is wet but no drips so that could be condensation.
...edit think it is condensation because the underside of the pedal box mount is also damp but can't see how the moisture would drip there.
What a pita.

Reply #55
What's that goo around your speaker??
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #56
What's that goo around your speaker??

it's the back of a load of dynomat. The inside of the doors have been done with it and enthusiastically wrapped into the speaker pods. It was a nightmare to separate the door card from the doors because of it. lol

Reply #57
I always thought the enclosure of a speaker should have a little less sound deadening?
Is that going to be impeding the performance of the speaker?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #58
I always thought the enclosure of a speaker should have a little less sound deadening?
Is that going to be impeding the performance of the speaker?

Not sure, sounded good as it was but logic tells me it's reducing the available space for free flowing air, so it's possible they could sound better. I may pick it off at some point, but it's horrible sticky stuff and stuck quite strong. 

Reply #59
Yeah, the back of Dynamat is super sticky!
I don't envy that task!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster