Skip to main content
Topic: Running Issues (Read 501 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Issues

Had my '87 8v for 4 months,and it's only let me down once (faulty battery earth!).
However,I've a couple of minor issues ,and could do with a bit of advice.
One is my temperature guage has just started not to move from cold for several miles,when it then climbs up to it's normal position within a minute.The car runs fine.Is the sender damp,or something,drying out with the heat of the engine?
My other question is I have a slightly corroded wiper arm.I tried to source a replacement online,but ,being the left-hand drive variety,I couldn't find any.
Does anyone stock them?
Cheers!

Re: Running Issues

Reply #1
You will not be able to get a new replacement wiper arm but it should be no issue to rub down the original, rust treat it and spray with some satin black. But if you’d rather a professional job then look for a local powder coating company. It usually is more cost effective to have multiple items done so get all 3 wipers and the sunroof deflector and lift arms and any other items you can. Power steering reservoir bracket and expansion bottle bracket etc.

As for the temp gauge, that sounds kind of normal. Could it just be the drop in weather temperatures that’s causing it to take a little longer to warm up?
As long as the temp gauge gets to the middle and doesn’t go above, or doesn’t drop when moving especially on the motorway then it sounds like it’s fine. But keep an eye, could be a sticking thermostat.

Side note for wipers: You could try a European site (like AUTODOC) for left hand drive wipers, but as you have an early model the splines are narrower so you’d need to change the whole wiper mechanism if you wanted late spec lhd wipers. A possibility if yours are beyond saving and you get really stuck.

Reply #3
Thanks for that,Eddypeck!
I've already changed the thermostadt.
I think that the temperature guage doesn't move at all,until it suddenly decides to get to it's usual running position within a minute after a few miles running,even though I can feel the car warming up as usual.
I feel that there must be a damp,or loose connection that somehow rectifies itself as the car is warmed up on a run.
I thought the windscreen wiper arm would be hard to get,so I've smothered it in ACF 50 for now,and,like you say,am going to rub it down and repaint at some point.
Cheers!

Reply #5
As EddyP says you can very easily bring the wiper arms back from the dead if it's just cosmetic, Take your time it's a really satisfying job plus the results might surprise you.

If they need replaced for example because the spindle splines have gone it looks like the one Bill has linked to is a match but double check here and satisfy yourself, there seems to be differences depending on engine size as well as LHD / RHD -

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1987-70/9/955-235000/#12

If I've guessed yours correctly these are links to Autodoc... not in stock, but usefull to get specs. from such as length etc. or alternate part numbers.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/swf/1048247

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/swf/1048206

Interestingly SWF are at least one of the original manufacturers.

Check eBay.de and search for either the VW part numbers or 'golf 2 scheibenwischerarm'... you'll get more hits if you change the search filter to 'Deutschland -DEU', looks like there's a few different manufacturers re-making them plus some originals.

Reply #6
Thanks everyone!
Some useful links and tips! ;D