Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 11265 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #75
I am collecting my mk2 tomorrow after its been polished. The bodyshop are a few doors from my work so have been in there daily driving them mad 🤣 hopefully get some more detailed photos day by day at some point but these are to go on with

Reply #76
Went to collect it this morning as planned. I'm so pleased especially seeing it outside in daylight.

I haven't really given any thought before, but I should probably look at getting some better cleaning products instead of the old sponge and carplan shampoo I've been using.

Here are some more photos. Can't believe it's mine 😀

Reply #77
Very shiny!

Yes you need two wash buckets, each with a grit guard in the bottom.  One with washing water in it (I simply use Turtle wax shampoo) and one with plain warm rinsing water in it. You also need a wash mitt, like a fluffy wipe thing that you put your hand in.  Rub mitt on grit guard in rinse bucket, I squeeze out excess.  Rub mitt on grit guard in wash bucket, I squeeze out excess then wash a small portion of car with horizontal strokes.  Then back to the rinse bucket and repeat.

I almost forgot, jet wash / hose car before hand washing.  This way your paint should remain swirl and scratch free.

Edit. you will be amazed at how much filth collects in the rinse water under the guard.  Also the washing water stays clean.  Do this once and you will never wash a car with a bucket and sponge again.  I bought this just to get started, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232415292665 .  I will look at pro washing chemicals and a better mitt the next time I visit my detailing supplier,

Reply #78
Thanks for the info I'll definitely order myself one of those. It would be a real shame not keep on top of it from now on

Reply #79
you took out the windscreen.
how to and how big of a deal is it ?

i had some rust creeping under the rubber,
which i could have treated better without.

Reply #80
Wow! That looks fantastic, bet you're made up!
@mk24ever, it's not too bad to remove, you just need to put plenty of lube on it (I use WD40) and be very careful.
Push it too hard and it'll crack.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #81
I've just noticed my scuttle doesn't have any drain holes like the previous one causing water to build up and drip onto the ecu. I have on of those snetro covers which uses the drainage holes for fixings so haven't got that fitted currently. I've fitted a water proof cover over my ecu (carrier bag) until I can find a solution. I'm a bit reluctant to drill holes into it but not sure what else to do? I assume everyone else has drainage holes along that channel?

Reply #82
An old image, taken for a different reason and not that clear for what you need, but the channel nearest the screen has 2 x holes visible if you look closely...

Reply #83
Thanks for the photo. I think I'm gonna take it back to bodyshop, I don't want to make a mess of it.
That is a very clean engine bay 😮

Reply #84
The problem appears to have been introduced here:

I can't see a drip lip nor drainage holes on that new scuttle panel.  Could be the picture angle but I also can't see the lip again on the finished item.

This is a picture I took yesterday for different reasons but if you zoom in you can see the lip with clips securing the scuttle trays which direct water away from the ECU and its connector:

Edit.  I've just now opened your image in another tab and enlarged it.  It does look like the lip is there.  The body shop need to drill the holes.  Then you need the trays.

Reply #85
So spoke with bodyshop and got them to put some drainage holes in, which they did for me this Monday. I thought it would be safer to let them do it as I was pretty nervous about drilling into a freshly painted scuttle.

Snetro scuttle panel refitted, should of cleaned it really

It could do with its first wash too but need to buy some more decent cleaning products (Grit guard ordered thanks pwardy).

I'm on the hunt for some new tyres for my ra's unless I swap the ones off the g60s. Also tempted to let the g60s go as I currently have 3 sets of wheels which seems a bit unnecessary.

Still need to make plans for mitlek manifold and power steering

Reply #86
That isn't a MK2 ECU you have there?  If not I think you have solved your problem.

If it is a MK2 then the genuine 2 part scuttle trays are designed to provide extra protection for the ECU connector and harness.  That protection will be missing with your Snetro.

Before using the grit guards jet wash or hose off as much muck as possible.

Reply #87
No it's a mk3 16v ecu to suit the engine. The cover that came on the car was quite broken so wasn't doing an awful lot anyway 😕 the snetro cover has done an OK job so far, I've had it for a good 12 months with no issues. However I think the swg covers look superior to both.

Yeah that makes sense, might watch a few videos on car washing to try and avoid making too many swirls.

Reply #88
Sadly I've had my garage broken into

It's away from my home so don't vist too often but it's where I keep all my spares and tools. The feeble lock looks like a pair of grips got the better of it 😟 strangley more has been left than expected but clearly someone has helped themselves- guessing for scrap metal. I'm upset but feel sorry for anyone that is so desperate that they need to steal. No real harm done but will need to increase security and replace some missing tools and parts to keep things moving forward.
New low entry rocket lift trolley jack to save using the cheap Halfords one. Also noticed the sturdy door lock that my dad doesn't use, hence the break in 🙄

I seem to be forever replacing parts that adjust tracking so have had this looked at today.

No doubt look into fitting the pas rack in the next month or two 😅
I havent covered too many miles in the last year but an oil and filter change is within my capabilities. The photos is to remind myself to do it more than anything plus gives me the chance to try my new jack

My snretro scuttle panel has been floating since paint due to no fixing/ drainage holes in scuttle. I gave sticky velcro ago but thats not the answer. New holes were drilled by bodyshop but not quite where I had asked

I bought a few types of fixings

And a few cheapish cleaning products instead of using the fairy washing liquid and sponge 😬

Very minor things but still feels like progress. Also repaired a spade connector on ns door speaker and the final snag since paintwork.
I had primarily sold my g60 style steels but the garage break in has stumped this. My bbs ra's used to clear g60 calipers but thicker ds2500 pads means I now need a small spacer. Does anyone know of the best place to look for a smallish hub centric spacers? I have a set of eibach 3 or 5mm eibach spacers but these seem to cause wheel wobble at 60mph. I assume because they are just flat? 

Reply #89
Managed the oil and filter without any dramas. Noticed a small leak from the coolant hose nearest the thermostat,  the jubilee clip isn't tightening so that will need fixing at some point.

Doubt it will ever be this clean again!

Met a new friend at Caffeine and Machine in his splitscreen. There was a stunning track inspired mk1 16v turbo there owned by a local guy, sadly I blurred he photo of the outside.

I've noticed 1st gear is getting slightly harder to find. I believe I need this bush which is proving hard to get hold of. There is a company is the states that sell them but won't ship to the UK so I've ordered a cheap ebay one and I'll see how that goes. If not the local engineering shop will make me one which seems the best option.

In the interest of trying to improve gear change I bought these bushes which attach to the cable change bracket.

I've had a noise, like something has been rolling around under my seat ever since I've owned the car. Nearly 7 years of searching I've finally found the noise!

A bonus Ngk pen was the culprit

Before I had my scuttle replaced I think this was causing a leak into the car causing it to steam up regularly. So I decided to take everything out and dry it out.

The sound deadening was soaked

Now on the washing line. Hopefully is will dry over the next few days.

Went for a quick drive without the interior. Felt like a race car 😁

Seems like a good time to redo door membranes. I've bought some sound deadening so a little bit went into the doors. I used buytln tape and did 2 layers. The 1st layer sits inside the door to aim the water into the drainage holes. I'm hoping this will help keep things dry.

Managed to do the rear door before daylight started to disappear

Hoping the underlay will dry before long. But need to lay the rest of the new sound deadening on the floor. Really hope this helps reduces the noise within the car so I can take the family out in it more often.