Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 11078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #105
Some great photos there, looks like a good day out!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #106
Yeah we loved it!

So the power steering has now been started, shamelessly dropped off as I'm just not up to doing this certainly not even tempted on my gravel driveaway. I've used a mk3 rack, uj and lines. I had given my abf pas pump to a friend who hadn't used it so that got donated back to me. I bought new rack ends, rack boots etc and got a mk2 bottle and bracket from mk2 spares.

Needs finishing tomorrow hopefully it will work OK 🤞🏻 hoping to get the manifold on whilst the subframe has been dropped.

I'm missing the tensioner bolt for the pump so will need to order one of those unless I can find one off a friend.

I can't decide whether to heat wrap the manifold. I've heard good and bad things either way so it seems to be down to preference?

Reply #107
Great write ups, and car's looking exceptional... health to continue enjoying it.

Thanks too for taking the time to post up the images, I know how time consuming it can be having to edit / upload your own, its appreciated.

You should consider applying for the club banner to display at shows / events.

Reply #109
Great write ups, and car's looking exceptional... health to continue enjoying it.

Thanks too for taking the time to post up the images, I know how time consuming it can be having to edit / upload your own, its appreciated.

You should consider applying for the club banner to display at shows / events.

Thank you 🙂

Great photos from the London to Brighton run Ian. Looked like a brilliant road trip.
Good luck with the PAS conversion.
You should do it next time Nige it was a great day.

I was walking to work this morning and got a message off a mate to say he had the tension bolt I needed. He even dropped it off and offered me a lift to work. What a legend!

One small issue with the pas today. It appears the uj boot it too large at the rack end.

Having asked around it seems I'm missing the doughnut that sits beneath it. I've managed to get one of these ordered and a 90 spec jacking point cover also

Also not sure if the bottle bracket is right as it seems to stick out along way? My mate Dan said he will cut and Shorten it for me at some point

Despite the missing doughnut I drove it home (1.5 miles) I've got to say I'm so pleased with the steering. It's going to need alignment again but even so its made it so nice to drive, I really wish I had done this years ago 😁
When the doughnut arrives the subframe will be back down and hopefully get the manifold on at the same time.

Reply #110
Yeah, as mentioned, you definitely need that doughnut.

As for the PAS bottle, that is where it's supposed to be.
If you want to be really fancy, you can stick a Corrado bottle on, it gets it up on the chassis leg out the way.
It's also the reason you have the weird notch out the water bottle, this is the one on my blue golf
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
The PAS bottles are still available new for not much money, then you only need to do a little pipework and find a bracket for it.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #111
Thanks for the advice yesterday Monkey! This would be a nice upgrade, my friends g60 has the same bottle as yours. I think I would definitely need longer pipes to reach thought 🤔

I've got another problem which I've nearly resolved. When I press clutch pedal in and spin steering wheel, the clutch pedal would make contact with the top bolt thread on the mk3 uj. There was excess thread on the bolt so got in there with the only thing I could find- an old junior hacksaw blade 🤣

Whether this was a good idea I don't know but it's done now! I've also took a file to the back of clutch pedal where it now meets the nut, it needs a tiny bit more but my arms ache from squeezing in the footwell.

Just waiting for the dougnut to turn up from mk2 spares and then I can get this finished off.

Reply #112
Thanks for the advice yesterday Monkey! This would be a nice upgrade, my friends g60 has the same bottle as yours. I think I would definitely need longer pipes to reach thought 🤔

No worries.

Yeah, you'd have to put a tee piece and a bit more pipe in, but it's all on the low pressure side, so it's easily sourced
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #113
A tiny update. I've took the angle grinder to my clutch pedal to stop it fouling the uj, it only needed a tiny bit off. Pretty sure I used the wrong disc but it worked 😅

Also heat wrapped my Miltek manifold. Hoping this can go on tomorrow along with the missing doughnut off my steering boot. I made the mistake of itching my nose during wrapping and it's driving me absolutely mental now!

This was the 1st time I've ever wrapped a manifold so I'm sure it could have gone better but we'll see how it lasts. I wrapped 3 of the pipes individually and then wrapped the 4 that are too close together along with the final pipe. I did watch a YouTube video before doing this and I soaked the wrap in water as this is suppose to make it expand and then shrink on tighter as it dries 🤷‍♂️ also suppose to make the fibres less itchy.

Luckily we've got a decent welder nextdoor on standby to make any adjustments to make this meet the trackslag exhaust.

Reply #114
You used the wrong disc.  That is a stone or ceramic cutting disk.

Reply #115
You used the wrong disc.  That is a stone or ceramic cutting disk.

I thought so but it did the job and saved me buying some discs 😅

The manifold got test fitted today. I think the answer is to chop the flanges off both ends and replace with a flexi and v band. I've ordered these parts and a lambda boss but will have to wait on some help with welding and fitting. I do have the original joining pipe but I have read that these 2 bolt flanges don't seal very well?

The manifold appears quite close to the uj boot so might need to find a way to give it some extra protection from the heat.

Reply #116
I did that exact mod to a four branch about 15 years ago, worked pretty well.

As for the UJ boot, I do know there is a bloke making bespoke heat wrap shields for them, no idea how much they cost mind.
Depending on your engine mount, you will have to take into account the movement of the engine too, you don't want to go to all this trouble to find it vibrates on something when you put your foot down!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #117
Thats good to hear. Hopefully I can get it sorted and so i can get the alignment done next week.

Do you know where to find him? I've seen them on obsolete.co.uk but they're out of stock.
As for engine mount currently I have a vibratecnics rear mount but was hoping to refit the oe part to reduce the amount of vibration this seems to cause in the car. Maybe I'll hold off until the manifold is sorted.

Reply #118
Another small update. When the car was painted they texure painted the front and rear bumpers, they came out really well but showed up the rest of the plastic trim. So I took it back to have the arches, sills, door trims and front splitter. Sadly no during photos but here it is sat on my driveway.

This is the uj boot cover I would like to get. Hopefully another batch will be made soon so I can feel more comfortable the stainless manifold won't melt the boot!

My v band and lambda boss showed the other day. Henry has agreed to weld these on for me when he gets time. So hopefully we can get this fitted before long.

Reply #119
Something I have wanted to do for a while was replace my mfa screen as mine has completely bled. I've seen others have managed it so I thought I would have a go. I took lots of photos to help me put it back together. Sadly ran out of time yesterday but it's nearly back together. It will be a miracle if the clocks all work after 😅
Started by removing radio, heater panel and switches

Unscrewed the instrument panel

Unscrew cluster

You can see from here the plug you have to disconnect
The plug from the bottom, the speedo cable and the vacuum hose

Then basically start unscrewing things and remove the dash bulbs

Then prise the white and black casing apart

Fiddliest bit was removing the green board from the white casing. You have to Unscrew the tiny black screws from rev counter. I used a Stanley blade and an Xmas cracker screwdriver set 🤣

New screen fitted

Wonder what's not going to work when this all goes back together 🤔