Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 11143 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #135
How many miles were you covering in 6 months!?

Reply #136
About 8000.
They were bloody soft, but absolutely amazing grip!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #137
Got the call to say the exhaust joint was complete and the car was ready to collect this morning! I was getting nervous I would be let down and ruin my plans this weekend.
I was due in a meeting at work but made an excuse and grabbed a lift over to collect mk2 🤣 delighted the exhaust doesn't knock at all and is sitting back in it natural position again. The old joint was kicking the exhaust out of alignment due to the miltek manifold ending in lower position than the oe abf manifold.

Just need to give it a bloody good clean and load the car up with food and spares for national meet 😁

Reply #138
A tiny update. I had a walk round the car yesterday afternoon and noticed the wiper arms were looking 32 years old! They have lots of, I guess stone chips? So i spoke nicely to the guys that did the paint earlier in the year and they agreed to paint them for me. Really pleased, I do like the little touches 😀

Reply #139
Before the exhaust was tweaked I bought some Powerflex exhaust rubbers, the old ones were perishing badly. Having spoke to a few people afterwards it seems that the ones from C&R with bike chain inside would've been a better option, but oh well. I couldn't get one of them on the mid box hanger, they're seem a bit too chunky so went for a new oe style rubber there. I've also heard the Powerlex are meant to melt quickly so I'm not holding my breath! I put jubilee clips over them whether this will help I'm not too sure. Time will tell I guess

I went to the national meet at Curbourgh the other week, such a great weekend. Camped over with the family, went on track Saturday and show n shine Sunday. I met loads of good people and can't wait for next year already! The photos are all over Facebook but here are a few of mine
A quite beer Friday

Ready for track Saturday

Family arrived Saturday morning

Track photos courtesy of Ben Winch

A lap with the gopro- best lap was 31.05
https://youtu.be/AUFg0mHRz_w
Show n shine photos from Sunday

I think the best place I can spend money would be one quality set of adjustable coilovers. I really like my bilstein eibach setup but they are slightly too soft for track maybe.

My eldest daughter wanted to help swap the wheels over back to road tyres. It was nice to have some help and I hope it builds her interest for the future 😊

Back on the ra's

Reply #140
Was good to meet you. Looking back at your pics and seeing your car I now recognise it from Caffeine and Machine night, I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time. But I remember admiring the Sebrings, one of my favourite stock wheels.

31'05 seems like a good time, for comparison my best in a stock 8v was 32'49. I wonder how that compares with Baz, he's running an ABF.

Reply #141
Good meet you and chat.  I've PMd you about your paint person, hoping they might be able to help with my dodgy doors and sunroof panel.

Enjoyed your track video too!

Reply #142
Was good to meet you. Looking back at your pics and seeing your car I now recognise it from Caffeine and Machine night, I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time. But I remember admiring the Sebrings, one of my favourite stock wheels.

31'05 seems like a good time, for comparison my best in a stock 8v was 32'49. I wonder how that compares with Baz, he's running an ABF.

Good to meet you too! Thanks I do like the sebrings. I regret not putting more practical road tyres on them so I could use them more regularly.

Baz did a 30.79 this year so he was quicker than me by 0.26 of a second! I'm happy with that as he's a great driver.
Mine was a standard 8 valve in 2019 and my best was 32.63, so I'm 0.14 slower than your winning time this year. So you have both beat me in a way!

Good meet you and chat.  I've PMd you about your paint person, hoping they might be able to help with my dodgy doors and sunroof panel.

Enjoyed your track video too!
Great to meet you too Martin! I'll send you a message back now with my painters info 👍🏻

Reply #143
Great to meet you the other weekend, still catchup up after the trip.

Loving the huge rear wheel pickup you had!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #144
Yeah really good to meet you too Monkey. Really pleased with with photos from Ben especially that one.

Reply #145
I'm trying to make the mk2 as user friendly to Laura as possible so she can use it when needed, hence the power steering the other month. Remote locking seems like a sensible upgrade especially with young kids.

I went for a cheap Rclick kit for about £20. I wanted to keep the existing vacuum system as I have a 5 door, it would of needed 6 actuators to completely change the lot as the fuel flap also lockable. That would have been alot of faffing!
This is what comes in the box

Guard dog watching me

Drilled the template in the only place I could seem to find that didn't foul the window when wound down

Connected the rods, I replaced the plastic part that had gone brittle and snapped

Fitted into place. I had to bend the rod around the one for the internal latch

Chopped the old harness leaving some slack on the old plug incase this goes wrong or I ever need to reconnect it

For now I have used crimped bullet connectors for ease of swapping wires round incase I get this wrong. I will more than likley solder and heatshrink when I'm happy that it functions properly

Bit of insulation tape to stop them hanging too close to the window mechanism

Found a spare live in the back of fusebox and connected the earth onto the claw

And it was that easy! I faffed over a few evenings but I think I could do it again in few hours. So far it works really well. It would be nice to see if I can connect it to the hazards to flash when it's locking/unlocking. I guess I'd need a relay for this? 🤔

Reply #146
Completely stolen off Copes thread but it looked like such a clever but simple idea for a phone mount

The mount kind of slides and clamps the phone into place reasonably central so perfect for sat navigation duties

Reply #147
I’ve looked at the rclick kit before and considered
Doing it. If I didn’t have factory c/l I would for sure. But having factory air c/l I wasn’t sure how best to integrate it.

Good to see you solving this, perhaps I’ll take another look.

Did you get a flip out key?

Reply #148
I’ve looked at the rclick kit before and considered
Doing it. If I didn’t have factory c/l I would for sure. But having factory air c/l I wasn’t sure how best to integrate it.

Good to see you solving this, perhaps I’ll take another look.

Did you get a flip out key?
I didn't go for the flip key, to be honest I didn't notice that it was an option. It would confuse me with the van keys so probably just as well 😅

I looked into teeing off a vacuum pipe etc into drivers side door and fitting just a remote switch into boot by the pump but that seemed way more complicated for my simple mind to overcome.

So far the only teething problem I've had was the window catching and snapping the wires when I wound it down so I've tucked them right out of the way

Reply #149
To be honest, you're better off without the flip key.
I had one about 5 golfs ago, the key starts to wear the flip mechanism quickly, it was very wobbly by the time I came to sell it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v