Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 10963 times) previous topic - next topic

G135EPB 8v GTI

After buying this 6 years ago I thought it would be fun to try and document my ownership so far. I'll try and add some photos... if this fails I'll give up here!   :-[

I was just browsing eBay at work looking at mk2s when i came across this for £1,000. Got the shock of my life when my girlfriend offered to buy it for my 30th.

I took my dad with me on the 150 mile journey from Leamington Spa to Maidstone on that weekend. We were surprised at how solid it was despite a few cosmetic issues and the listed faults so gave the guy £1k and promised to collect it within 2 weeks, We've driven a fair few neglected cars home previously but decided this one was best on a trailer.

Here's the advert:

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #1
After a little over 2 weeks I still hadn't managed to collect. The seller had messaged me a quote to move it, i sensed his frustration and took the hint!

Gave it a quick wash so it felt like it was mine

Probably worth mentioning I'm not massively useful with the spanners, I have quite a busy work and family life too. So this was destined to sit on my drive until i admit defeat like its previous owner.

Technically this arrived 6 month before my 30th so I had a bit of time to get it ready. I'm not completely new to mk2s, I grew up sat on the back seat of my dads cars in the late 80s early 90s- always red 8v mk2s, hence wanting this,

I have owned a few mk2 in my late teens and early 20s (3x pb's, 1x kr & mk3 abf)  but I always sold them fast as I didn't have the desire to maintain them without any support and they were pretty expensive to insure! There was regularly an old beetle, bread van polo, mk1 or mk2 golf being fixed in my garage when growing up but sadly never got the opportunity to help other than with a sponge in hand  :(  Its safe to say I was gonna need to learn quick or find help if I wanted to hang on to this!

Reply #2
Welcome along, that's a great looking one you have there, really liking it on the Sebrings too.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Welcome along, that's a great looking one you have there, really liking it on the Sebrings too.
Thank you. I like the Sebrings too... literally removed them after a month for ra's though 😅
Just read your 8v thread fantastic work👍🏻

Reply #4
Sebrings are just timeless classics!

Reply #5
Thank you. I like the Sebrings too... literally removed them after a month for ra's though 😅
Just read your 8v thread fantastic work👍🏻
Thanks!
Funny you should mention the RAs, I've actually got a set of Sebrings from my other Mk2 I was going to fit, but now I'm wondering if I should find some RAs too.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
As far as maintenance and repairs go it’s a great car to learn on and build confidence. Not as basic as a Beetle but a great combination of modern enough so that the jobs you do still apply to more modern vehicles but simple enough you can do most things with a fairly basic tool kit. As for support, there’s a great source of help and information on hand here. Any job you have to do has been done numerous times by most of the people on here.
Start with a basic service and build your confidence.

I would however strongly recommend getting a full set of Irwin removal tools for any rusted and/or rounded nuts and bolts. They’ve got me out of a fix numerous times and have saved hours.

Reply #7

I would however strongly recommend getting a full set of Irwin removal tools for any rusted and/or rounded nuts and bolts. They’ve got me out of a fix numerous times and have saved hours.

Couldn't agree more, I bought the set below and it's got out so many potentially frustrating rusted bolts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390351171705?epid=25020391586&hash=item5ae2be3079:g:scoAAOSwOrlZ3ci4
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8

Couldn't agree more, I bought the set below and it's got out so many potentially frustrating rusted bolts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390351171705?epid=25020391586&hash=item5ae2be3079:g:scoAAOSwOrlZ3ci4

I have that set and this one, which gives me all the sizes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231642108775?epid=4003304728&hash=item35eef21367:g:4YMAAOSwehZaAxZV

There's a seller that has them together, which saves a few quid. I'm generally one to skimp and take short cuts if possible but these are worth every penny I'd say.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132683330165?hash=item1ee48af275:g:-QEAAOSwsh5bNrKE

And when you remove the cardboard from the plastic case you'll see there's space for the extra set so it keeps them all neat and together.

I've removed locking wheel-nuts without a key, a rusted suck exhaust studs and countless old nuts and bolts.

Reply #9
Interesting; I've just been and checked, I have a set never used.  Only because I don't have any rounded nuts or bolts or dodgy locking wheel nuts on my cars.  This is my choice for difficult / rusted nuts and bolts:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sealey-ak5613m-impact-socket-set-13pc-1-2-sq-drive-metric-SEAAK5613M?type=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9H9HPBbjvncYtgIkTurVLpVBTktqiVuFwoCgPPeAcQEcsMTBZQnfQsaArDuEALw_wcB
Unlike std sockets they are six sided.  More importantly and unlike the Irwin set I can work rusted bolts in both directions.  Makes them more likely to come out and once out the head is not damaged and I can plate and reuse them.

Reply #11
Thanks for the advice guys I will keep an eye out for a set in the January sales!

So ended up chatting to the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it off. He sent me these photos, looks like someone had started to break it before he saved it.

Reply #12
The year before (2014) it had failed its mot on brake pipes, couple of light bulbs, headlight tell-tale and emissions. Some Osram nightbreakers, headlight loom, couple of fuses and an hour with a co meter solved all but the brake pipes (which i left to someone more capable).

New vac hoses, a temp sensor, a step by step guide and the emissions were good.

Headlight loom and bypassed dim dip resistor

Also had to realign the gear linkage to find 1st and 2nd gear and within a month over ownership it had an mot with no advisories!  :) Really pleased to have done everything myself minus the brakes pipes.

Reply #13
I had always like bbs ra's on a mk2 so picked up the 1st local set i found. They were a bit scabby but luckily a mate refurbed them and I managed to get some cheap Toyo T1r tyres to go on with too.

Managed to borrow a ramp at work on a Saturday morning to fit them

The sebrings were in need of a refurb also. The plan was to eventually get them powder coated with some semi slicks.

Reply #14
The heating never felt particularly hot so after a bit of research I bought a mk3 matrix and some coolant hoses to by pass the valves. I had heard this was a nasty job but was surprised at how straight forward it went. Feeling a little more confident to have ago  ;D

Maybe only basic stuff but starting to enjoy working on this!