Skip to main content
Topic: Factory headlight wire routing and clips. (Read 925 times) previous topic - next topic

Factory headlight wire routing and clips.

It's years since I took my car apart, I made sketches but they are just not good enough.  All pictures, including my own, are taken looking into the engine bay so the wire route is not shown. I can't get the cable routing right behind the headlights and would be grateful for some help. The N/S is a particular muddle

I have 4 components left. the tie wrap may or may not be related:

The only way I could find to connect the twin horn was on the inside of the plastic air deflector:

The fan wiring I have held by a clip on the fan cowl

The spot lamp wires (1) just run off in the direction of the lamp without clips and the indicator connector I have in a clip (2) but have no idea how the matting connector will get there.

I have a clip mounting hole on the slam panel that is not in use, horn harness???  The wire that would clip in nicely is aftermarket alarm related so does not clip in there.

The metal clip I think goes on the radiator cowl but then it would clash with the wires so perhaps the wires are wrong?

Advice or pictures of factory N/S routing would be much appreciated.

O/s routing is much simpler, wires disappear inside the air collection box.  Then, without any clips, the spot lamp feed just pokes out through the gaps. It appears totally reliant on sleeving for protection from chaffing.  The indicator feed has no sleeving so I assume the sleeved wire from the lamp pokes into the box through a gap and it connects without clips?

Is this correct?

Re: Factory headlight wire routing and clips.

Reply #1
The O/S I'm happy with where the wires are routed.  The resistor should have a white clip but that is long expired.  The wires are now tubed for protection.  The indicator and spot lamp enter the air collection box via the only gap available to each and connect on the bottom of the box.  Not great for longevity with dirty damp air being sucked past but I believe it's correct.

Reply #2
The N/S has been a bit trickier, I now have the horn connectors re-positioned on the air deflector.  There is also a second clip, the first on the under side of the slam panel, securing it on the inside of the slam panel.  It's just out of the picture, top left.

The indicator emerges from a grommeted hole and then connects to the main harness and is secured buy a square clip.  The spot lamp simply connects but sits right on top of a grey clip that is full with the main harness.

The fan wire connector I now have in square clip on a metal clip which has a location slot on the radiator cowl.  Really not sure about this:

Anybody got factory wire routing and able to post a picture or two?  Thank you.

Reply #3
I'm not sure on this myself, but see if you can track down Mark (Damien), his car's only done about 24k, so chances are it's 100% original
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
I had thought of approaching Mark direct, seen pictures of car show judges scrutinising his engine bay.  Wrong time of the year though, Vincent van Golf is probably tucked up for the winter.
I can let this one run for a while, nothing is fixed and can be easily adjusted.  It would be nice though to conclude the thread with the correct answer.

Reply #5
I had thought of approaching Mark direct, seen pictures of car show judges scrutinising his engine bay.  Wrong time of the year though, Vincent van Golf is probably tucked up for the winter.
I can let this one run for a while, nothing is fixed and can be easily adjusted.  It would be nice though to conclude the thread with the correct answer.

I'm pretty sure it's in his garage, next to his house.
He's pretty helpful, I'm sure he'll send you over a couple of photos if you ask.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Hiya just seen this , if you want to message me I can give you a number and maybe a watts app video chat ? Car is pretty accessible but I haven’t been too near all the spaghetti at the front to advise

Reply #7
I thought of your car when I posted, it's the one most likely to be still as it left the factory.  Thought I'd leave it though until the weather improves and you would definitely have access.
Pm to be sent shortly.
Phil

Reply #8
Thanks to @Damien.wrl for sending over pictures of Vinnie.  Our cars are slightly different, different clips (some of mine are are not the white originals), wire lengths (could be due to repairs on my car) and different harnesses.  This is as close to factory as I'm going to get:

The additional tubed and lapped wires are for the aftermarket alarm system.

Reply #9
The O/S I'm happy with where the wires are routed.  The resistor should have a white clip but that is long expired.  The wires are now tubed for protection.  The indicator and spot lamp enter the air collection box via the only gap available to each and connect on the bottom of the box.  Not great for longevity with dirty damp air being sucked past but I believe it's correct.

Just for completeness and have both sides together at the end of the thread.