Skip to main content
Topic: Wipers not parking | horn not working | weird old alarm removal  (Read 580 times) previous topic - next topic

Wipers not parking | horn not working | weird old alarm removal

Hello,

Got a few electrical issues with my 86 1.3 CL. Thought I'd lump them all into one post, hope that's cool.

1, wipers don't park, they stop as soon as you turn them off at the stalk. I've read about them needing a constant 12v, and if they lose this then they won't park themselves. How do I check that they have the feed? Also is this feed fused?

2, the horn doesn't work when you press the horn button in the middle of the wheel. I have had the wheel off and everything when I replaced the dash, and to be honest just never thought to check the horn, so could well be something I've done. Are there any tips on testing the circuit from the button to the stalk? The horn itself is working, as there
is an old 'Linnwood Electronic' alarm fitted to the car which went off today for the first time and set the horn off! Which brings me to my third question:

3, does anyone have any experience with a Linnwood Electronic alarm? As I'd like to remove it from the car ideally as it clearly doesn't work properly. Is it as simple as following the wires that come out of it and snipping them?

There's one on ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Linwood-Electronic-Keyless-Car-Alarm-Box-Accessories-Spares-/185108262194?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Cheers in advance!

Danny

Re: Wipers not parking | horn not working | weird old alarm removal

Reply #1
Can’t comment on wipers, never had a problem with them not  parking.
The horn is likely to be an assembly issue at the steering wheel. I’d take it apart again and check that the horn can be triggered from the connections. If so assemble it so that it works. If you can’t trigger the alarm with the steering in pieces you have a fault to trace.
Be wary of the immobilised circuit on the alarm. Trace the splice and reconnect the immobilised circuit. Then removal should be simply as you suggest.

Reply #2
Can’t comment on wipers, never had a problem with them not  parking.
The horn is likely to be an assembly issue at the steering wheel. I’d take it apart again and check that the horn can be triggered from the connections. If so assemble it so that it works. If you can’t trigger the alarm with the steering in pieces you have a fault to trace.
Be wary of the immobilised circuit on the alarm. Trace the splice and reconnect the immobilised circuit. Then removal should be simply as you suggest.

Cheers for your message yeah got the horn working, it was just a bad connection bewteen the metal ring on the back of the wheel and the little tab it touches.

The alarm can stay as it is for the time being as now the car keeps cutting out so I need to fix that first!

Would really like to sort the wipers at some point though as it's quite annoying - I'll likely be posting about that again soon haha.

Anyway cheers for your help!

Reply #3
As far as I can make out from Haynes the park switch is inside the wiper motor.  I can't find a park switch part number on 7Zap so I think you need a motor.  About £10 used and £30 to £40 new.
If my car had this problem I'd fit a new motor and see if it fixes the problem.

Reply #4
I'm pretty sure your wiper will be a wiring issue as opposed to a switch issue.
If you look at the below link, the wiper cables are all in Block D
http://a2resource.com/electrical/CE1.html
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
@Monkey you think the problem is pin 6 on relay 10, or the associated wiring? Possible, I didn't have this level of info in Haynes.

@danny_roulette when you get to the bottom of the problem could you post what it was please?

Reply #6
Hello @Monkey @PWardy thanks for your messages regarding the wipers not parking, the a2 resource is ace thank you.

I  got the car running again (carb flange) so will have a look into the wiper issue next time I get chance to look at the car (weekend hopefully)and report back!