Skip to main content
Topic: having 4 mk2 cars, searching fanclub in sw-germany (Read 1034 times) previous topic - next topic

having 4 mk2 cars, searching fanclub in sw-germany

hello folks,

we have as much as 4 mk2 cars in the family.

my father bought his first one brand new in the 80s.
it was our family car.

my first car was also a golf 2.
later i tried a golf 3, but it just was not the same.
i do not even deem it a real sucessor to the golf 2.

for me it is heartbreaking to see so many mk2 cars
beeing dismantled or rusting apart.

after gathering some experience  about maintaining the cars,
i searched the web for a fanclub, and i found this one.

it might be good for sharing,
but does anybody know about a more local group, too ?
this would be nice. i live in south-western germany.

thank you and greetings from there :-)

Re: having 4 mk2 cars, searching fanclub in sw-germany

Reply #1
Hi welcome to the forum

Reply #2
This is what came up when I entered mk2 golf forum.de in Google.
German VW MK2 Forum

Fortunately for me it can be translated into English otherwise I wouldn't understand any of it.

Is that what you are after?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #3
@scs hey :-)

@AndyBa thank you for searching :-)

the german forum contains a lot of info in my language,
but judeging from old meets, they are located rather north.

regarding communication i would try it here. it is so nice,
that so many english people care so much about a foreign car
and you do not force people trough google captcha and stuff.

my question was about wondering,
if somebody knows about some likeminded people in my area.
in case this does rather belong into your regional meets section,
i have put up a thread , there.
just trying to be orderly ;-)

Reply #4
i wonder what do you guys think
about the many golf 2 successors or even its predecessor.

what have they gained, what have they lost ?

Reply #5
You'd think having a MK1 and MK2 Golf (then and now) would mean I've owned plenty of the others over the years, but there's not been a single one.

Infact I'm certain I've never, with two exceptions (MK4 R32 + MK7 R) ever even been in any other of the Golf MK's.

For what it's worth the MK6 I think looks well, but that's obviously a very shallow way of judging it!

Reply #6
My wife had a Golf 3 1.8 CL.  5 door car looking good in metallic grey.  Very solid feeling it drove reliably to reasonably high mileage, about 170k miles, I think.  Despite the reputation it resisted rust well and the seats resisted wear very well.  The engine was very smooth, economical and it shifted gear well.

It was an early car with the recycled plastic inside that did not ware or fit to VW standards. However it was looked after and still looked good when we parted with the car.  My biggest complaint was that it was a softly sprung heavy car with overly assisted PAS.  It was no GTi but then it wasn't sold as one.

Reply #7
i enjoy reading this. yes, the mk3 was very soft.
and the 55 hp, i guess, had a good fuel economy.

there
, they say it weighs a ton, but really ?
to me it has not felt particularly heavy.

how much lighter is the golf 1 compared to the golf 2, by the way ?

nevertheless i wonder if there cold be a real successor to the mk2.
one which keeps this edgy design which the mk1 and mk2 had.

does somebody know if vw ever had some alternative mk3 designs ?

browsing the web i came across the mk2 with mk5 interior page:

do you know it ?

i was astonished about how everything fits together,
even if there might have been hard adapting going on.
of course it can't be that way,
but is there something good about how they developed the interior ?

Reply #8
Ours was a 1.8 CL with 75 hp. It had a very low compression ratio so ran on 95 RON supermarket fuel. It had single point throttle body injection and a cat so it stank of bad eggs.
From memory the sills, A B C posts were much chunkier than a MK2. Also more rigid with less scuttle shake. MK2 cars feel flimsy compared to a MK3. The down side was it was too soft, it’s the only car I have come close to turning over, caught a deep pothole in a puddle, the car really bounced around on that soft suspension. I was one two wheels at one point, my MK2 would never have got there.

Reply #9
If you drive a MK3 VR6 though they are quick and the suspension is sorted. I’m not sure what there is not to like about them.

Reply #10
So we have 5 Golf's. One Mk1 Cabriolet. Had a reconditioned engine before our ownership and a Weber carb. It certainly keeps up with modern traffic and isn't too bad without power steering. One Mk2 1.3 that we purchased after the old owners wife blew both the engine and gearbox. We have a spare but have yet to diagnose what went wrong. When working again it's like the Mk1. 3 Mk3's. The wife's car is a 1.8 Auto Estate with low miles. A 1.4 manual 3 door with high miles. Our newest is a 1.8 Auto GL. Silver with an all blue interior. Currently undergoing a heater matrix and heater flap material renewal. Ironically none of the suffer with common Mk3 rust problems. They are all different in their own way and don't cost half as much to repair as my kids newer cars.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #11
@Eagle: there is always the flap material ;-)
we now got 5 too, but one is for sale.

the newcomer is like the one in the picture above,
but with the factory kept. it has 5 gears :-)

@PWardy: the vr6 is the high end, i guess ?
i would be curious if some of you have been to the nürburgring or the isle of men.

edit: but isn't the vr6 to heavy for such a lightweight car ?
for me, tasting the gti 8v would be interesting.
should be similar to the 1.8l jetta, we have.
the heavier pistons produce strong vibrations, right ?

Reply #12

I think the Mk5 restored the essence of GTI that was lost with the Mk3 and Mk5. The driving experience in the Mk5 is the most similar to the Mk2. I can't comment on the 6, 7 or 8 as I haven't had the opportunity to get behind the wheel.

For me the Mk2 is the best, whilst the Mk1 was the original, it's a whole generation older. It's 1960/70s tech and quite crude. VW learnt a lot from the development of the Mk1 and perfected it for the Mk2. By the time the Mk3 came along there we safety restrictions being introduced which took priority and caused the car to be heavy and cumbersome....

That said, and to agree with PWardy, back when I was a reckless 20 something, when I had my first Mk2, a quite rapid GTI Engineering, I had a run in with transport police in a VR6 mk3, it was very quick and caught me up in no time at all. :o

Reply #14
@mk24ever  yes Mk3 VR6 was the top of the range.  I never owned one but I was loaned them on a number of occasions.  Compared to a MK2 8v GTi they were rapid, smooth running and felt more reassuring at speed due to the rigid shell.  Handling for a heavy car was good too, much like a modern fast car.
As I said before not much not to like.