Skip to main content
Topic: Magazine Scans... (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

Magazine Scans...

Slightly cropped during scanning, it's the July 1988 issue.

Re: Magazine Scans...

Reply #1
that new internet of yours is doing a good job. Interesting information.

Reply #2
Say what you like about Elon Musk, (and not wanting to be melodramatic about it) but it's literally as life changing as suddenly having access to electric light after being limited to candles before.

Reply #3
May 1999...

Reply #4
Some great reading there, don't think they were fans of the mk3 though!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
I laugh at the "improved corrision resistance" on the mk3! Suspension is soggy from factory but easily fixed and doubt there even many mk2s running factory spec suspension.

Reply #7
June 1991...

Reply #8
Makes for a great read, not sure I agree about the engine noise being oppressive though.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
Makes for a great read, not sure I agree about the engine noise being oppressive though.

I think oppressive is a bit strong, the engine was very refined compared to other manufacturers offerings. The exhaust though was boomy and 5th gear a little low for motorway cruising.  But motorway cruising is not what the car was about.

Back to gear ratios; does any body know which 020 gearbox the test car would have had?

Reply #10
I think mine is an Aug 91 8v looking at the build sticker but I'm not sure how you identify the gearbox code.
I'd agree that 5th gear is a bit low for motorway driving and I think that is why some have changed to the 4+E 5th gear ratio apparently a straightforward swap. For the amount of times I drive on the motorway I just tweak the volume on the stereo listening to period correct American rock. That usually does the trick.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #11

You originally would be an AUG Andy, the build sticker will confirm it.

The test car is an H and falls within AUG as well.

Reply #12
The info. that I was looking for is in the article.  Amazing what you do't see when you read something on a phone.  AUG from 07/80.  ACD for earlier cars except for the very earliest.

I have an ACD, now I need to read the article again, this time on a PC.  I'm intrigued by their performance figures, my car has the ACD gearbox but was much quicker to 60 than their measured 9.5 s.

Reply #13
This guy goes into it in knowledgeable detail...

BrokeVW

Reply #14